Monday, June 4, 2007

time travel tuesday ~ memories with dad edition


We're traveling back to special memories of our dad's this week.
What are some special memories or a special memory you have of/or with your dad?
Any sayings that only come from him?
Any interesting lessons you learned from your dad?



Traveling back with my daddy...

When we were on vacation my dad used to let me "drive" as a very little girl. This was before seat belts were a law. I thought I was so big sitting in my daddy's lap driving the car.

Anytime I got hurt my dad would say, "dawgonnit." those words did two things, they made me know that he felt sorry for my pain and then caused the tears to flow.

Once, on a trip into the Ozarks, dad's car was having an issue right when we entered Arkansas. Dad didn't get mad, he always stayed calm and tried to maintain everyone's 'fun' level. We stopped and tried to call a mechanic, to no avail so we went to the next town and stopped at an all night truck repair center. They couldn't really help either and we sat in the car late into the night (miserable). Dad finally figured out there was a cadilac dealership in the nearest town and so he rented a hotel room for us and the plan was to get to that place for a part in the morning. We woke up after only a few hours of sleep to find dad missing. He had walked several miles alone to get to that place when it opened. Well, that part got us to where we were headed in Missouri but didn't fix the problem. Dad never let us know he was concerned, after he did get a good night's sleep he woke up and instantly ran out to fix it. He just needed to think about I suppose. He was always like that, even tempered (I'm not saying he never got mad, just not normally) and able to fix just about anything or make anything.

Another memory is of dad dropping me off at school everyday, I would ask (everyday) "what's the weather gonna do today?" and he would tell me... and he was always right. I always thought he was the best weatherman! Still is.

Later in my teen years we had a nintendo console. My dad and I had an evening date of playing Mario. It was hard to stop playing and go to bed. We both got to the princess. I have really impressed my kids (especially Bailey) with my game skills I acquired during this time. Although now I don't like to waste time playing games like that... I'd rather blog :o)

I always have thought that my earthly father has been an excellent example of love and compassion for me, and it has given me a great glimpse of the love my heavenly
Father has for me as well.

I love my Daddy's, both of Heaven & of earth.


Next week we will travel in time to our favorite vacation!

24 comments:

Julie said...

I promise that I read your blog almost everyday, but I rarely comment because I don't have any time lately. Could be the 7 kids...
Once again, I probably won't have time to do the TTT, but I just saw my Dad this past weekend, so I have good, recent memories to think of. :)
By the way, it just dawned on me this morning that I don't have any new clothes from Izzy! I figure you got busy and forgot to drop them off or my parents forgot to put them in the truck. I guess Nadia will have to be naked for a few more days until I see you again. She prefers to be naked anyway.
Love u

Irene said...

Hello Annie,
Here is to fathers. And to the greatest Father of all times, Glory forever.

Susan said...

I was definately "Daddy's girl" and learned so much from my father. I relate to not having any trouble in accepting a loving Father God because of the Earthly Father I was blessed with.
Susan

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post about your dad!

KC said...

Whar a sweet sweet post about your dad. Happy time Traveling

Leni said...

Thanks, Annie. That was a sweet TTT.

Tori :) said...

BE.U.TI.FUL post!! Loved it!

Anonymous said...

What sweet memories!He sounds like a wonderful man.

Anonymous said...

Awww, what a wonderful man and dad! I just love reading *happy* dad memories. So very sweet!!

Sara said...

nice memories. Mine is up too

Constance said...

He sounds like he was/is a wonderful father -- and gave you a good role model for how a man treats a woman,
Annie !

Very nice story...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! I decided to join up and write a weekly TTT.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet Dad. What a blessing to have a father who looks out for you in that way!

Karen Hossink said...

I love the story about your dad taking care of the car. What a great picture of a man caring for his family! Thanks for sharing it.

Aunt Jenny said...

I sure enjoyed reading your blog for the first time! I loved the stories about your dad. I will have to do a post on my blog about my dad..he passed away a little over 3 years ago now and taught me alot! (some good and some "what NOT to do" haha) and I miss him alot. He used to always wake us up by saying "Kappalla!! Kappalla Dee Die Dosta!!!" I have no idea what that means..but he said it every morning..we knew that it meant to hurry and get up right now..he said it was Indian and his dad said it every morning when he was a kid too. I don't know about the Indian part..but my kids hear it now and then too..

Renee said...

What wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing!

Okie Food Traveler said...

Those are awesome memories! It was such a good read. I met your dad one day...I was with Jody and they were working on a fridge trying to figure out what was wrong. He seems pretty nice...though there wasn't a lot of talking going on.

Marye said...

wonderful memories!
This was a difficult one for me as my dad has been with the Lord for 6 years. Wow.
But he imparted so much to me...
I had trouble decided which blog to put it on..but finally my homschool blog won out...because he did truly give me roots and wings.

Anonymous said...

What a sweetheart your Dad was! You are blessed!

~Pam~ said...

Hi Annie,
I am new to your blog, in fact I just recently starting using Blogger.
What a great post about your Dad!
Thanks for sharing.

Susanne said...

Beautiful post about your Dad, Annie. My hubby's Dad used to say dawgonnit all the time too. I'd never heard of that saying before him. :v)

Marcia Francois said...

Annie, what a lovely post as a tribute to your dad.

My relationship is a bit weird - I was a daddy's girl up to puberty, then ??? and after I got married, it got back on track again and now we're good but still not close. Like I said, weird.

I love how you said your dad was a representation of God. That's beautiful.

And on your latest post, just reading it tired me out. Gee - you're busy. I have a question for you but I'll email you.

Joyful Days said...

Annie, it was neat to hear about your dad. Very cool you are close to your parents.

~Julie

Jenny said...

Mine is finally up! I'm so glad our dad's did their jobs well, so we don't have problems with God!