Tuesday, June 19, 2007

time travel Tuesday ~ cooking experience edition


You know I'm always open for suggestions for our travel on Tuesdays... well, this week Barbara H. suggested we go back to our first cooking experience. Good idea Barbara H.!

So, how about it... do you remember your first cooking experience, or if not, do you have a memorable cooking experience... how about the first time you cooked for your hubbie?

I have two memories that come to mind for this topic... they both involve Matt!

Once when we were dating, I must have been maybe 17, mom and dad had left earlier in the morning and he came over so I decided to make him a proper breakfast like mama makes. This of course would have to include gravy. Well, I thought I was doing it just right until I went to pour it into a pretty dish for serving (I was so trying to impress him)... It came out of that pan like a jello mold. Matt walked up behind me to witness this mess. I then tried to pour it down the drain to erase my mistake and it clogged the drain. What a mess. I now make the best gravy around fyi :o)...

Another memory is when Matt always bragged about his grandmother's cream cheese brownies. I thought, that's simple enough ... I'll make them. So I made brownies and added some cream cheese to the mixture and voila, light brown cream cheese brownies. I was so proud. Until he looked at them and said, "these aren't what Jackie makes." Well, he never told me that the cream cheese was marbled in the brownies - HELLO. So, I called her the next day and got the official directions. I was from then on the cream cheese brownie queen.

I'm sure I've goofed up so many more times than this, but these two memories are the first to come to my mind. I can't wait to hear about all your fun cooking firsts, I'm sure they are a 'hoot.'

18 comments:

Joyful Days said...

Oh, Annie!! I just this last week made my first "proper" gravy!! It was a red letter day here.

Cream cheese brownies?? Can I have the recipe or is it a family secret.

Fun memories!

~Blessings~

Anonymous said...

Thanks for choosing this as a theme! I had a really hard time with gravy, too.

Jodi said...

I too have had my gravy come out like a jelly mold. I now just get a jar! LOL

The cream cheese brownies sound yummy, care to share!!

Have a great Tuesday!

Julie said...

I still can't make gravy! You'll have to teach me, since you are now the best gravy maker in the world. I believe you, I really do.
Everyone who reads your blog is going to think I am a big smarty pants. :)
They just have to understand that we go way back and we love to pick at each other.
Anyhoo, go to my blog and check out my first cooking experience.

KC said...

LOL about the gravy.. I still have not made a good gravy unless it came out of a jar and I just had to heat it. :)
cream cheese brownies sound wonderful, what is the recipe or can you say??

Jenny said...

You can't be the cream cheese brownie queen!! I AM!! ;) But you can be in my court if you want to....I'm going to have to think about this one. I'm not much of a cook, so you'd think I'd have a sure 'nough funny story, but I don't.

Irene said...

Oh, haven't we all tried to impress our significant other! I am sure he has apreciated your efforts!
Love and blessings.

Leni said...

Great topic, Annie! Unfortunately, I could have shared all kinds of stories, but I've embarrassed myself enough for today! lol

Sara said...

I dont even do gravy :p never works out for me... Mine is up

-atomik kitten said...

ROTFLOL Cream cheese brownies... That's pretty funny.

-atomik kitten said...

Oh and for the record - I'll be 30 next year and the only gravy I can make is the kind you pour of a jar and microwave!

Constance said...

Oh Annie ! You make me laugh ! Can I have some gravy b.t.w. ? I love it on mashed potatoes or turkey on Thanksgiving !

One of the first times I tried to make dinner for a date in college, I was so nervous that I put the cooked spaghetti down the srain instead of in the colander !

I've often made errors in baking and had to try, try again, but then like you, I usually end up making it wonderful and having foolproof recipes !

Happy Tuesday to you !

Karen Hossink said...

I don't like gravy, so I've never made it (except the kind you make with water and an evelope mix) but I imagine I'd end up with something more like jello, too. Good for you for sticking to it and making the best gravy around, now! :o)

Anonymous said...

So funny Annie! I can tell from your weekly recipes that you have greatly improved your kitchen skills! I didn't post a TTT today because all I could remember was burning popcorn while babysitting, but I will be back again next week! Have a wonderful Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Funny stories! I finally posted mine after you made me feel a little guilty! :) LOL!

I don't like gravy so I have never tried to make it. I just want to know if you can make biscuits?

Anonymous said...

Loved your gravy story...I've made some pretty bad gravies myself! I'm better, but my honey is the king of gravy around here ... Thank heavens he enjoys that title ;)
I do make a mean sausage gravy for biscuits, though.
btw...I love Izzy's new pray for Izzy button!

Renee said...

Great stories! Especially the gravy one. Thanks for stopping by my blog and I agree- keeping it simple at first is the best advice! (Wish I had figured it out sooner but guess I was waiting for my hubby!).

Have a great rest of the week.

Busy Bee Lauren said...

Hi! I just joined the Good Mail Girls and I found your blog through Tori. This was such a cute post! I love your blog it's great! I hope it's ok if I keep stopping by.