Monday, May 7, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday ~ Sweet 16 Edition!

I was 16 in 1985.
Record of the year was "We are the world"
Careless Whisper (Wham) and Like a Virgin (Madonna) were #1 and #2 on the pop charts...
The movie Out of Africa won the academy award and The Color Purple was a nominee... I remember seeing Back to the Future!
I watched the Cosby Show, Family Ties & Who's the Boss on TV.
This is me at 16 sitting at the guest book of my cousin's wedding (I always sat at the guest book at weddings???)

The first memory I have is what a brat I was (thank goodness my daughter is not like me ;o). My dad bought me a 1981 Datsun b210. I hated it. So, he bought me a 1965 Mustang to which I said, "it's old!"... (I warned you! and I will also add my parents were not rich but I didn't acknowledge this fact). So finally I got this 1979 Monte Carlo and I liked it okay. My best friend had a straight off the showroom floor brand new car (1986 cutlass calais) and so we took hers everywhere.
This pic is the summer I turned 16 on vacation with mom and dad...

I met Matt a few weeks before turning 16. So many memories of 16 include him. He was a freshman at St. Gregory's College in Shawnee.
This is me at 16 in my bedroom...

My friend Rachael had a portable sun lamp. I borrowed it and got the directions sorta transposed... so I sat under it too long, too close. I woke up to find my face with bad burns. I had to have shots and medicine and then had the worst peeling you've ever seen. For a while I looked like a cat, because my smile lines in the skin showed. I remember Matt didn't make fun of me when he saw me, he just felt sorry for me. I never sat under a sun lamp again.

I worked at the mall part time and spent every spare minute with Matt on the weekends. I took a modeling course and did some runway modeling this year. It was so much fun!

I hope you join in TTT this week, I am excited to read about you at 16!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hostessing this fun meme. I'm enjoying reading everyone's responses and I'm enjoying writing my own.

Allie Boniface said...

Love the pictures!

PS - you've been tagged, over at my blog!

Anonymous said...

So fun to read! We have got to get a new scanner. The pictures really add to it, but I can't include any right now. Thanks for hosting!

Anonymous said...

Ouch! That sun lamp story sounds painful! A lesson learned the hard way, I suppose. The first time I went to the beach alone (with friends not my Mom) as a teenager, I fell asleep and got severely burned. I feel your pain. :o)

Corrie said...

Oh how cute you were at 16...no surprise, of course! Your sunlamp experience sounds awful! I think I'm going to play too...I'll have to find some time later today!

Jenny said...

You are so pretty!! I had to take photos of photos because I don't have a scanner...I think they're fine though...I remember those sun lamps! lol!!

Sonya said...

Great post Annie! I want to play so badly but I can't remember 16! LOL! I'd have to do alot of research to come up with memories from then!

My Trendy Tykes said...

How fun!!!! Maybe I can find some old pics and join soon.

Linda

Joyful Days said...

Annie!!! I would have loved that 65 Mustang!! I don't care what shape it was in. Oh!

I didn't do sunlamps, but was always laying out in the sun.

You are pretty close to my sister's age. Gorgeous pictures.

Julie

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures. This is a great idea, thanks for hosting.

Jenny said...

Hate that 'bout the sun lamp. I've never heard of those; me and my friends just lathered up in Crisco cooking oil and laid out. Pretty stupid, lookin' back!

Barb said...

Well, I'm not surprised you did some modeling - gorgeous!

I always cut the cake at weddings. Never a bridesmaid, always a cake cutter. Sigh.

I just saw your photo of the fun fur flip flops. I hope I find enough time between now and Saturday to do my new pink flip flops. I should have thought of that - sooo cute!

Anonymous said...

Oh GOD I am the old lady of the group. In 1985 I was travelling around the world in a song and dance show at age 22. I remember my first kiss at 16 behind the 'Tilt a whirl' at the canival at school. I remember thinking what the $%@#! is his tongue doing in my mouth and things sure are sloppy.

My dad saw us and was so proud that I was being kissed. 'That's my daughter' 'Did you see my daughter?'

I could have died.

Haley said...

Annie!

I love your pics, also your story about the sun lamp. I'm kinda glad we don't have those things now. You were so pretty as a girl! Not that you arent now of course! :-)

Mine is up now!

Haley

Eden said...

Hey Annie! Love the pics and your new blog design. Oh, I'll have to try to join TTT next Tuesday!

-atomik kitten said...

Wow! I will have to start this next week. :) Hi fellow Okie!!

Karen Hossink said...

This was fun. I love your pics, too. Though I must admit to blog envy...I don't have any pictures on mine. :(
Thanks for starting this time travel fun!

Robin Green said...

I can not believe you gave up a Mustang!!!! Are you nuts??? Seriously, an old mustang is what I wanted--if only I had known you then! I was stuck driving a 76 yellow Ford pinto--yuck!

Michelle said...

sorry I missed it again! I had MOPS yesterday and that takes care of 1/2 my day! Loved the pics of you though!