Monday, May 14, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday ~ "Eighteen" edition...














I mentioned yesterday that Coach Jenny & Karen had both suggested we travel to 18 so here we are...

(don't you just love the 80's bangs and odd earrings...)

I was 18 years old in 1987. I turned 18 in august after having just graduated high school in may. I was working and going to school. I got a job at the state of Oklahoma doing computer work and was enrolled at Rose State College. I had a scholarship for academics that I didn't want to waste, but I had been dating Matt since I was 15 so I had marriage on my mind.
I met some fun women in the work place... and enjoyed going out to lunch and running around. It was a year of new freedoms even though I still lived at home with my parents. I moved from their house into mine & matt's first home a couple of years later. Yep, that's right, I never lived alone.
In 1987 the song "with or without you" by U2 was big, I loved U2 that year and played it loudly driving to and from work in my Pontiac trans am. I know God took care of me that year because I was a little wreckless. Dirty Dancing and Fatal Attraction were movies out that year. I saw them both... Fatal attraction was scary and I guess DD was too in a different way.
I was drifting away from God in this year, it really seems like a blur to me now. I went to church to satisfy people, but didn't have any kind of personal relationship with Christ. Sad.
I took my religion for granted. It was very much based on works, not on me. I am so glad I have come to know Christ as my personal savior and to know what a powerful and loving God I serve.


I hope you play along this week, I also hope your 18th year was a little more interesting than mine.

20 comments:

-atomik kitten said...

I am up for the very first time and hope I did it right.

Julie said...

My 18th year was definitely intersting, as I'm sure you remember. Hmmm...I may write about it, but I'm not sure. Next week let's travel back to age 5 or 10 so I can write happy thoughts. Or 25! 30 would even be good. It's been a good year so far. : )

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, Dirty Dancing! One of my favorite movies! I played along this week and it's up! :o)

Jenny said...

Oh man...I totally forgot about Dirty Dancing..."Nobody puts Baby in the corner...) lol!! btw, you asked about my birthday...October. So yes, we are the same age but you are just a smidge older than me! lol!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hosting this! I loved Dirty Dancing! It's funny how when I think about that now, I think "I wouldn't want my kids watching that!" Have a great Tuesday!

Mandalyn said...

Annie~I loved reading about your 18th year! I had marriage on my mind at that age and actually got married a year later!

Thanks for sharing!

Michelle said...

I still had the big bangs in the early 90s!

Karen Hossink said...

You were drifting away from God, but He was still loving you as passionately as He does right now. Isn't He amazing???
I'm glad, too, you've come to know Him personally!

Irene said...

Hello Annie,
Lovely photo! You are so the best of the 80s!

Joyful Days said...

I was out of college by the time you were 18. U2 was/is a favorite of mine. This was the year I think I was drifting far from God too.

But look at you now, Annie. What a beautiful testimony your life is.

(())

Julie

Nan said...

Hi Annie,
I decided to join you on this today! :^D You probably already know that I always enjoy a good stroll down memory lane!
Nan

Sara said...

I have signed up, will start next Tuesday :) Looking forward to playing along :)

Robin Green said...

What a lovely senior picture.

Jenny said...

Ok, I'm up finally. :) I don't think you've changed a bit!! (Looks wise! Your heart is only gettin' better!)

Jill said...

Loved the photo... the 80's were all about hair, weren't they? I was in college in 1987 when Dirty Dancing came out and a bunch of us went to the theater to watch it and we talked about it for days.

Leni said...

I remembered to post this week! Thanks for picking an age I can remember. ;o)

Melanie D. said...

Coming here from Big Blueberry Eyes. Michelle's was cute, so is yours...I want to play! I missed out on Tuesday, but will still try a post about being 18. I will watch for next week.

Unknown said...

I was so good at doing 80's hair. I hope it comes back, bigger and better than ever!

KC said...

Love the photo.. I tell you and your oldest DD can be twins.

Renee said...

Annie-
Thanks for stopping by. You know, I had completely forgotten about Sun In. Yes, I definitely used it! I think my Mom breathed a sigh of relief when I realized that a hair dresser could do a much better job. Remember that phrase...A little goes a long way? I don't think I ever embraced that concept back then, especially not with Sun In.
My hair changed several shades in a matter of a week!

Thanks for hosting this...it has brought back so many fun memories!