Friday, March 16, 2007

Favorite Ingredient Friday~



TGIF? I thank God for everything, so I will include Fridays... even though I honestly prefer Mondays. The weekends are so busy around here that we need Mondays to recuperate! This next week is the kiddos spring break. They are pretty excited! Bailey is having a friend who moved away visit for a few days and then he and Emelia are visiting their Gram in Tulsa for a few days. Izzy is having her dental surgery next Thursday, not a great way to spend Spring break but we are very excited to have this procedure behind us. Bailey and Emelia will have "Nini days" with my mother... Only Emelia is sure where she wants to go for her day - the omniplex! Amanda is planning a trip to the zoo with a friend and a lot of sleep! She has had 9 week finals this week and is so tired. She made a 100% on her Algebra III final yesterday, so the studying is paying off.


Today for favorite ingredient Friday I am posting some recipes that I received in an email from a friend for powdered mixes.



Taco Seasoning:
1 cup dried minced onion
1/3 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
4 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon oregano
4 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
Combine all ingredients and store in a
cool, dry place. When you're using for Mexican dishes, use
about 1 tablespoon or so per 1 pound ground beef, or chicken or beans. More if
you like the extra flavor.

Noodle Mix:
1 cup instant nonfat dry milk
2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
1/4 cup dried minced onion
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Combine ingredients and store in a sealable
container or zipper-topped plastic bag. This will keep for two months in the pantry. However, I would personally store in the fridge because of the cheese; plus, it will last longer. Mark the date on the bag with a Sharpie pen. This recipe doubles and triples well. To use: combine 1/4 cup mix with 2 tablespoons melted butter and 1/4 cup milk. Toss with 8 ounces pasta (cooked).

Homemade Shake and Bake:
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste
Combine ingredients and store in a
sealable container or zipper-topped plastic bag. This will keep up to four months in the pantry, depending on the humidity (you may just want to keep it in the freezer). This recipe will also double or triple well.
To use: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place one cup mix in a plastic bag. In a bowl, mix an egg and 1/2 cup of milk. Dip chicken pieces one at a time in the milk mixture, then shake one at a time in the plastic bag. Place on a baking pan and bake for appropriate time (depending on the chicken you're using — as a little as 20 minutes or up to an hour for bigger, bone-in pieces).

Homemade Flavored Rice Mixes:
4 cups uncooked
rice
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Combine all ingredients together and store in
a zip-topped plastic bag or sealable container. This will keep up to four months if stored in a cool, dark and dry place. With brown rice, you may want to keep it in the freezer.
To use: Mix 1 cup mix with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, place lid on rice and simmer until liquid is completely absorbed, about 20 minutes or more. Check if you need to. (I would add an extra half cup liquid for the brown rice.)
Variations:
To make Vegetable Rice Mix, substitute an envelope of vegetable soup mix.To make Spanish Rice Mix, substitute 1/2 cup Taco Seasoning (see recipe above) for envelope of onion soup.

Please visit Overwhelmed with Joy to sign up and see more!


Also, anyone is welcome to snag the pray for izzy button on the sidebar to put on your blogs ~

post signature

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie, these all sound so very yummy! I love making mixes....I've been doing it since I was a girl. My mom owned a restaurant and it was my job to make up the spice and rice mixes for her restaurant every Saturday. Oh, that was so much fun! She used the recipes (that she adapted to suit the tastes of her and her customers) from "Make a Mix Cookery" (still being published, if I'm not mistaken).

We will be praying for Izzy's surgery this coming week, and for the other children while off visiting gramma.

My Trendy Tykes said...

Great mix recipes!!

Thanks for sharing.
Linda

Susanne said...

These all look great! Yummy!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I love making my own seasonings and with my sons allergies, now I almost always have to. The taco one looks similar to one I use already, but I'll give yours a try too. Thanks for sharing :) Happy Friday!! OH, and Happy St. Patricks Day :)

Ms. Kathleen said...

Oh...sounds like keepers. I must copy these. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

These are great. I hate using package mixes, I just never knew what to put in what. I may use the taco seasoning tonight! Thanks for sharing

FamilySnows said...

What great and helpful recipe ideas. I am definately saving these! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

YES!!! I really like the Taco seasoning one... thank you!

ann said...

These sound great - can't wait to try them out! Thanks for your comments about my Mom.

Mrs.T said...

Hi Annie --

I too love making mixes. I always make my own taco seasoning mix, onion soup mix, ranch dressing mix, etc. I just can't justify paying the high prices they ask for those things.

The Make Your Own Groceries cookbooks (by Daphne Metaxas Hartwig; maybe out of print) have some great ideas for such things.

Wanted to let you know I have posted the Chile Rellenos Casserole recipe. Enjoy!

God bless,
Mrs.T

Anonymous said...

great recipes! Way to go Amanda on that 100 on the Algebra III exam. What a great accomplishment! Looking forward to your weekend reflection! :)

Overwhelmed! said...

Whew! You do have a busy weekend! Congrats to Amanda for that 100 on the Algebra exam!

I love these powdered mix recipes. Thanks so much for sharing!

Thanks for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

Eagles Wings said...

Wow, they sound really good, I can't wait to try all of the recipes! Thanks for stopping by!
EaglesWings

Michelle said...

somehow I missed this post! Thanks so much for the recipes! I like the taco seasoning one too, and I bet hubby will enjoy it!