Wednesday, October 31, 2007

time travel tuesday ~ halloween edition

This week we're traveling back to our most memorable Halloween. Did you dress up and go door to door growing up? What was your favorite costume?

My main memory from growing up was that I was always either a gypsy or a pioneer woman... maybe a clown once or twice. We didn't go out and buy a costume, we just went with what we had. The gypsy was a long full skirt, ruffled shirt, big hoop earrings and a scarf. I loved dressing up. It didn't really matter to me what I was dressed up as. Mom would take me to local houses before dark and that was about it. One year when I was really too old for trick or treating me and my bff Darla were at her house and thought candy sounded pretty good. We dressed up as silly as we could and headed out to ring doorbells. It was fun even as a teenager.

I think it is more fun being the parent. My kids love dressing up and Amanda loves it more than any of the others. She is going to be tinkerbell this year. Emelia is Minnie Mouse, and Izzy is going to be a cowgirl! Bailey told me he was too old to dress up this year but will help pass out candy at the trunk or treat we are going to at church.

I know that there are terrible origins for Halloween, but for our family (and mine growing up) it has always been only about the cuteness of dressing up and the fun of that. Nothing negative. I am sure there is something negative about most holidays but we don't choose to celebrate them for that. It is just what you do in the fall... dress up and eat lots of candy!

Here are a couple of pics of Izzy dressed as a 50's girl last year...



21 comments:

Nancy Face said...

I LOVED your Time Travel! Such fun and happy memories! Izzy looks absolutely precious in her 50's girl outfit, and I can't wait to see pictures of your kids for this year! :o)

OKGardners said...

What fun! I remember that my Mom made a gypsy skirt and vest (orange/black). She put SEQUINS around the pumpkin shapes on the skirt and I WON the costume contest year after year with that outfit. Didn't the teachers ever remember that I wore it the year before??!! As I grew, my BFF and I dressed as HOBOS and walked for MILES and MILES to gather up candy. We probably got about 40 lbs. of candy between the two of us. (Just what we needed!) We were WORN out after walking the miles that we did. You can't trust people to do that much walking into strange neighborhoods these days. STAY SAFE!
BETTY

Justabeachkat said...

Oh Izzy Bear looks incredible! What a cute costume.

I agree...Halloween for me has always just been a fun time to dress up and enjoy lots of candy.

Happy Halloween!
Hugs!
Kat

Theresa said...

Love Izzy's poodle skirt-very cute. Yes to me Halloween was just about fun hanging out with friends in costumes and of course the candy!!! Great Theme for this week.

Randi said...

Your daughter is darling! What a fun costume! I love to wear fifties skirts cause they're fun to twirl.

KC said...

Izzy looked so cute.. Amanda and my Sweet Pea are going as the same thing this year. I only had 2 store bought costumes in my life one other then that we just threw things together ourself or mom made them. I think my lion costume she made the costume and bought me a mask. My kids have had a combo of home made and store bought costumes.. This year, Princess and Mr man's were homemade and Sweet Pea's and Little Man has the store bought ones. Though Sweet Pea's I bought a christmas gift for her and got the costume free, and Little Man's was an old outfit that Mr Man had when he was little.
Fun time travel.

Sarah said...

Happy Halloween! Such a cute poodle skirt! I talked about my 50's costume in my post. :) I can't wait to have kiddos of my own to celebrate Halloween with - I definitely think it's a holiday better enjoyed with kids!

ohAmanda said...

Fun! I wish I had some of my old pics--my brother and I always did couples. It was so fun!

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

How adorable she looked in the pink poodle skirt.

Dena said...

What a cute poodle skirt!

Jenny said...

Izzy looked like a sweetheart of a 50's girl!
Thanks for hosting this every week!

Yvonne said...

So fun, Annie. I'm with you--Halloween is all about dressing up and getting candy, no need to focus on the negative stuff!

I love Izzy's poodle skirt--she looks so cute.

Debi said...

Oh my...Izzy simply could not be any cuter! Can't wait to see how she dresses this year!

gail@more than a song said...

Izzy looks so cute!
I always liked it when our church would do a trunk or treat or fall festival that they sometimes call it.

Sharijoy said...

This time travel idea is such a great thing!! I love Izzys poodle skirt...did you make that? great memmories..thanks for sharing. I'll be heart broken when my kids say their too old to trick or treat or dress up!!

Truth said...

Ah, what a fun post. I posted a link to your blog on mine today.

A Captured Reflection said...

Come by and pick up an award from me!!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Izzy is just gorgeous! I love her little 50's outfit. And look how much she's changed since last year! She still had a little bit of a baby face last year, but in her recent pictures its gone. They grow up too fast. Have a wonderful and safe Halloween, Annie!!

Jenny said...

enjoy your day! busy as ever, but I wanted to say hi! :)

Tori :) said...

We never bought costumes either. The fun was trying to come up with new ones out of the stuff we had.

Cute pics!

Anonymous said...

Very nice picture you have here - Hapy WW! Wish you a nice Halloween :)