Tuesday, October 23, 2007

time travel tuesday ~ accident or illness edition


Well because I am a fun loving girl I thought this would be a good place to travel this week.
What's the most serious accident or illness you have ever had?
Tell us about it!

Well, like Julie said ... I picked a fun topic this week!
I am working down a list of topics and this was just the next one on the list.
I have been very well my entire life too.
I had many many bladder infections as a young toddler.
Turns out I was allergic to fragrant soap. Once we eliminated that I was fine.
I still buy ivory soap only and use the smelly stuff very carefully.
I have never had a broken bone...
Julie called this morning and suggested I use my dog bite incident. I forgot all about that!

In June 1987, I stopped off at my friend's (twins Shelli & Kelli) house.
Their dad and mom were in the front yard playing catch with their little sister.
I noticed their dog, but didn't think much of him. I wasn't afraid of dogs (yet).
I walked up the sidewalk and Kelli said, "watch out for the dog."
I looked down and noticed he was showing me his teeth.
I said, "would you come get your dog." and before I finished that sentence he had a good grip on my leg. Their dad came over and ripped him off my leg. The next thing I remember was sitting on the bathroom counter and seeing my white ked now completely red. We headed for the emergency room. My parents were waiting there for us and I knew I could tell how bad it looked by my dad's expression. He winced when they pulled away the towel. That freaked me out a little. Another fun memory from that event was walking out to the car to go to the e.r., I looked at the dog (now in the back fence) and he was chewing on a piece of skin. Nice.
He put his front long tooth into my bone and then the others took out a piece from the top. It was painful for a while. Matt and I were dating at the time and he was very sweet (although he wanted to go take care of that dog - guys!)
The dog apparently wasn't up to date on it's rabies shots so it was quarantined for how ever many days (21 I think), that was a little scary too.
He was a trained attack dog, I didn't know it at the time. I am now very afraid of dogs and have been known to jump fences if even a small dog comes towards me. It's pathetic.

23 comments:

Sonya said...

I'd love to link but I've never had a notable illness. Chicken pox as a child is the worst thing that has ever affected me. I am very blessed to have always been healthy as a horse.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

I'll be checking back later for yours.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

oh I see yours now. Unfortunately, I had a pit bull bite me when I was a kid right acroos my rt knee and rt calf. Very painful!

Nancy Face said...

"...he was chewing on a piece of skin." I exclaimed "UGH!" out loud when I read that! :0

Wow, what a story! I have a dog bite in my past, too! I forgot about it until I read about yours! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I am skittish around big dogs.

Theresa said...

We once had a dog that just snipped at one of my dads friends daughters- he was gone the next day. My father was truly a dog person, but he had no tolerence for dogs that bite.

That sounded painfull-a big OUCH!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

I'd be scared of dogs too! That part about the skin was really bad. I'm glad you weren't hurt worse than you were.

Tori :) said...

Oooh- what a horrible story!!

Toknowhim said...

Dogs scare me to death... even little ones can freak me out. The chewing on a piece of skin thing is freaky.

Blessings...

ohAmanda said...

*shudder* Do you have a scar?

OKGardners said...

Annie, That is really scary! Glad you got loose from the dog when you did, but what a terrifying experience!

My worst illness was Scarlet Fever as a 2-yr-old. The Health Dept. placed a Quarantine sign on our house. There were 10 cases of it in Tulsa and 4 of them died.

My sister would have been 9 at that time, so when she saw our mailman coming, she ran out, as usual, to get our mail. He took off running because of "The Sign" on the house. She chased him for a little bit and never knew why he was running away from her, I suppose. (My parents told this to me.)

Our family Dr. even came to our house to treat me so I wasn't around more people to expose. (Back in the Old Days the doctor would make house calls.)

While I was recuperating, my Mom's friend came by with her kids. When they started to leave, the Mom told MY Mom that she & her kids were coming home from their Dr's office and HER kids had the measles! That was the LAST thing I needed to be exposed to at that time. I never got the measles. Praise the Lord!

NOTE: I don't think we ever saw this woman or her kids again either.

Betty

Anonymous said...

I can imagine being afraid of dogs now!! How awful to see him chewing on your skin afterward.

Mel said...

That story grossed me out! I'd be scared of dogs too.

My Trendy Tykes said...

Eeek...The dog incident does sound scary.

Linda

My Trendy Tykes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy Face said...

I have an award for you! :)

Shawna said...

Oh, that was scary! I've never been bitten by a dog before.

gail@more than a song said...

I would be SO scared if that had happened to me! I'm still a little afraid of dogs myself.

Sharijoy said...

Yikes that is scary....the skin thing was gross too!! I guess i wouldn't be too keen on dogs after that!

Justabeachkat said...

I can see why you'd be afraid of dogs. It's a shame though. Just like people, some are bad and some are angels (like our Miss Daisy).

Hugs!
Kat

Michelle said...

ouch! Sounds like he got a real bite out of your ankle. If he was trained as an attack dog I would think he wouldn't have bitten you until he was given an order; or at the very least if you were doing something more threatening than walking up to the house!

Nothing major has happened to me thank goodness! I did slam my thumb in the door once and had to have my thumbnail taken off, but couldn't make much of a blog post about that!

Rachel said...

Awe, man, that sounds pretty gross and scary!! I'm sorry about not keeping you up to date. I have been CRAZY BUSY!!!! plus I still have to go get batteries for my camera or I won't have pics to post. Also I had a few "issues" with the bloggy world so I have been a little slow in getting back into the swing of things...so sorry.
I am so glad that things have been going great with y'alls trip and all. I am still so glad we got to meet.
How is the school year going for yours?
Rachel

Linda Murphy said...

Hi Annie,

Wow, that is quite a story-I can see why you would be afraid of dogs. My mom was once bitten on the bottom by a dog. And we never had a dog in the house ever.

Thanks for sharing. I'll include a post on my blog too.

Linda