Wednesday, September 12, 2007

a long day...

Well today was a LONG day.
We headed out of town late morning for Eddie's funeral.
The family dinner was scheduled for noon, with the funeral at 2 PM.
I didn't anticipate how sad the funeral would be...
The lunch was nice. The menu was baked ham, corn, baked beans, potato salad, salad, multi-grained rolls, and various desserts.
You never really feel like eating at those dinners, but somehow shove the food in to fill the void of conversation. If that makes sense.
I could hear laughter and conversations, I saw friends and relatives embracing and realized I haven't seen many of these people since the last funeral in Blanchard.
Eddie's daughter and son seemed like they were handling it all pretty well.
The funeral itself was very very sad. I cried a bucket of tears. Matt did too.
I still have a cry headache.
Those video montages always get me, it's like watching someone's life literally flash before your eyes.
I felt so sad for Evva, Eddie's daughter. She is a sweet girl and loved her daddy so much. Bryce, Eddie's son, spoke. I was amazed at how composed he was, how he had the entire congregation laughing and then how he pulled it all together and prayed. It was touching.
I've never seen so many flowers at a funeral. It was incredible. I sat and counted but lost track at 50 arrangements. He was loved.
We viewed his body. He looked 80, and was only 54. He had so much life in him, without it he was just a shell. I guess that's always the case, just seemed more pronounced in Eddie.
It was a beautiful day. Perfect weather. We went to the cemetery and gave last hugs to the family. His sister Betty whispered in my ear as I hugged her, "I pray for your family every single night." She was having a very hard time, she was the older sister by 18 years and was almost like another mother for Eddie.
We visited both of Matt's grandmother's graves while we were there, they have both died in the last year, then drove by Marmar's old house. Lots of memories there.

21 comments:

Karen said...

Annie, I can only imagine how exhausted you must feel. Emotional stress seems to make the body as achey as physical stress. Take good care of yourself. You're in my prayers.

Kim said...

Annie--
What a long day...I hope tomorrow you can slow down and take care of yourself.
(hugs)
Kim

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Oh Annie, I'm so sorry! The pain of losing someone so young and unexpected is such a shock and it really takes it's toll. I pray for Eddie and his family. My BIL is semi recovering and I pray every day that his parents and sibling don't have to endure this pain. But I guess it really touches everyone, doesn't it? A life lost too soon. HUGS to you, hon.

A Captured Reflection said...

Oh that is hard. I know what you mean about the eating at funerals. May you all be able to unwind tonight and process peacefully, I know how the mind and the thoughts can whirl after such a heart wrenching day. Much love.

Anonymous said...

(((HUGS))) my friend...continuing to keep you all in our prayers.

Marcia Francois said...

Oh Annie - I know exactly how you feel.

I don't have words but I'd hig you if I were there (((hug)))

Marcia Francois said...

I meant, HUG!

palmtreefanatic said...

Big Hugs for you Annie!
I am sorry about this difficult time!I pray for peace over all of you!

Debi said...

(((((((HUGS)))))))

Nancy Face said...

It really did sound like an emotionally draining day. I'm sorry it was so difficult, and I hope the cry headache is gone today. I've been praying for your family. (((Annie))) A hug for you.

My Aunt Jerry passed away yesterday. It's very different than with Uncle Eddie, because she was 74 and has been terribly ill and suffering for some time now. My mom and I were talking about what a sweet reunion she's having up in Heaven with so many of our relatives who have already passed on from this life. I feel bad for my mom, but I'm okay...until I get to the funeral on Saturday. I will be crying a lot too, and somehow I have to get through singing a duet, "How Great Thou Art," with my sister in-law. Then there will be that luncheon! :)

Susan said...

A long, sad day indeed. They always are and especially for one in his mid years.

Your comment about the body is so true. This body really is just like a suit of armor and when the spirit (the REAL us) is gone it is just like clothing that has been taken off and thrown on the chair. So important to pay the most attention on the "inward man" and not the exterior.
Susan

OKGardners said...

Annie,
Thank God for compassionate hearts such as yours. You will be blessed for caring so much.

God Bless You,
Betty

Irene said...

May God rest his soul. Thinking of you.

Jenny said...

I know about those cry headaches. I imagine them to be close to hangovers.

Anonymous said...

(((hugs))), Annie! Your emotion is coming across in your post. Always praying for you and your family!

Jill said...

I am so very, very sorry about Eddie. I have been fortunate to not have attended very many funerals in my life. I feel the same as you about the lunch part. At the lunch after my dad's funeral I felt like I shouldn't eat. But I did. And it did kind of fill a void.

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Wow. Eddie must really have been somebody worth knowing! I'm sorry that the funeral was so gut-wrenching, but I'm pleased to hear that he received such a wonderful send off. My heart hurt when you spoke of him before and how much some bad things had affected his life. It's good to hear that everyone must have felt as you...that he was good regardless of the things he didn't handle well.

gail@more than a song said...

Those can really be long hard days, and crying headaches hard to get over. Sorry y'all had all that happen and hope everyone is doing better.

Anonymous said...

Hi Annie! My name is Katrice and I found your site through Coach Jenny. I read Izzy's story -what a precious, beautiful little girl you have. I will put her story link on my blog and pass her story on. Blessings, K.

Justabeachkat said...

Funerals are so hard. I'm glad the day was beautiful though.

I'm sending you extra hugs!

Kat

Tori :) said...

Big (((HUGS))) to you Annie.