Friday, September 14, 2007

faith lift fridays ~ be a foxhole friend!



Be A Foxhole Friend (2)
"Two can accomplish more." Ecclesiastes 4:9 TLB

Before you get into a foxhole with someone, understand:

(1) Foxhole friends are few. During the Civil War Abraham Lincoln once received a request via an officer to pardon a soldier sentenced to be executed for desertion. The man didn't have a single letter of support vouching for him. Next morning the officer was shocked to hear Lincoln say that the testimony of a friend had sealed his decision to pardon the man. When the officer reminded the President that the request had come with no letter of reference, Lincoln simply stated "Then I will be his friend" and signed his pardon. If you have such people in your life, value them, they are rare indeed.

(2) Foxhole friends provide strength before and during the battle. Even before the battle, simply knowing that someone believes in you and will fight for you is uplifting. Epicurus said "It is not so much our friends' help that helps us, as the confident knowledge that they will help us."

(3) Foxhole friends see things from the same perspective. Five-year-old Tracey asked her Dad if she could play at the house of a friend. He told her she could as long as she was home by six o'clock for dinner. When six o'clock rolled around Tracey was nowhere to be seen. After about 25 minutes, Tracey opened the front door. Her father, working to control his impatience, asked where she'd been. "My friend's doll broke right when I was supposed to leave for home." Her dad said, "And I suppose you were helping her fix it?" Tracey replied, "No, I was helping her cry." What was Tracey? She was a 'foxhole friend!' Are you?

Thank you to all my foxhole friends!!!


Thanks Sheryl for hosting faith lift fridays!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful...and true! Foxhole friends may be few, but they are forever!
Thanks for sharing that :)

A Captured Reflection said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this, it was/is brilliant. Yes it means so much when someone 'sits' with us be it in their hearts, with their words etc.

Shawna said...

I've had a couple of those! Sometimes you do need a friend to cry along with you!

Nancy Face said...

I've never heard the term "Foxhole Friend" before...I just loved it! I was so touched by the story of President Lincoln, and I just heard the precious story of Tracey and her little friend's doll in church this week! Thank you for lifting my ♥ today! :)

Yvonne said...

Those are beautiful. Like Nancy, I've never heard that phrase before. I loved #2. I'm so glad you posted that and I'm so glad I found you at Nancy's site.
Thanks.

OKGardners said...

Perfect sentiments for a Friday or any day.

Betty

Justabeachkat said...

What a great post!

Thanks for being my friend.

Hugs!
Kat

Tamara said...

Ok...I wanted to know if you could resend the information on the swimming video you have. Is it ISR? THANK YOU!
jtcosby@comcast.net

ohAmanda said...

Good post! It's harder to do for some people, huh?