Friday, September 21, 2007

faith lift fridays ~ are you ready for bigger things?















Are You Ready For Bigger Things?
You… enlarged me when I was in distress.
Psalm 4:1 Amplified Bible

Did you know that the hermit crab looks for a shell that fits him, then lives in it until he outgrows it? At that point he has to scurry along the ocean floor and find a bigger one; it's a process that repeats itself throughout his entire life.

Are you clinging to something that no longer fits you, just because it's easy and familiar? David said, "You… freed me when I was hemmed in and enlarged me when I was in distress." To develop and grow spiritually you must be willing to move out of your comfort zone and deal with a little 'distress.' What worked for you yesterday may not work today. Maybe it's a job you've outgrown, a relationship you need to re-examine or a behavior you need to change. Regardless of what it is, never become so 'settled' that you can't let go and move on when you need to. Patience and persistence are admirable, but they won't work in situations you've outgrown. Instead of hanging in and trying harder, at certain points you have to stop and ask yourself, "Is this situation good for me?" If you're not sure, ask God for "an understanding mind [to]… know the difference between… right and… wrong" (1 Kings 3:9 TLB). His Word says, "If you need wisdom… ask [Him], and He will [gladly] give it to you" (James 1:5 NLT).

When God says it's time to move on, it's because there's another shell out there that will fit you even better. But you can't take occupancy until you vacate the old one. So how about it - are you ready for bigger things?

Bob Gass Ministries

thanks Betty for the great emails!

Visit Sheryl at Taking the Challenge to share something that has increased your faith!

17 comments:

KC said...

wonderful stuff to think about. Thanks for sharing.

ohAmanda said...

That's good! It's hard to move on sometimes...but it's always better!

Nancy Face said...

I love James 1:5-6! :)

With me, it's always a BEHAVIOR that needs to be changed. I just need to keep working on it! Thank you for a good message! :)

OKGardners said...

You are welcome, Annie.

I agree that these devotionals are a blessing in our lives.
Sometimes ENCOURAGEMENT from others is all that gets us through each day. I enjoy your blog(s) so much. They are a daily blessing to me. I appreciate the updates on sweet Izzy, too. I have grown to love all of your family. I already loved your Mom. :)

Love, Betty

gail@more than a song said...

You enlarged me when I was in distress....not sure I've read that one. Oh I see it's amplified so I might have read it in a different translation.

Tori :) said...

OMGosh! You have no idea how perfect a post this was for me today. Thank you!!!

inspired said...

;o]

Corrie said...

Wow! What a great truth to ponder and act on!
Thank you for your kind and encouraging words on my post yesterday. You are such a sweet friend, Annie. You brightened my day!
Corrie

Justabeachkat said...

What a great message today! Love it.

Hugs!
Kat

Karen Hossink said...

I don't know what God has in store, and how He wants to use me but I am willing. Use me, Lord, in big or small ways!

Anonymous said...

Change, when it's my choice, is wonderful. Change when it's foisted upon me isn't. But as your devotional points out so beautifully, sometimes the foisted change (in fact, usually) is exactly what I need.
Thanks for the reminder :)
Have a blessed weekend, Annie!

A Captured Reflection said...

I read this in the Word For Today and it jumped out at me then, so when you posted it I thought - yes, there is real and relevant to truth to this for now! Thank you. How are things at your new Church by the way? I've been meaning to ask.

Marcia Francois said...

I've just tried to send you an SMS. Is the international dialling code for the US just 1?

If it doesn't come through, don't worry - just wanted to say hi and i was thinking of you :)

By the way, here is a link to that series of teachings (the power of positive confession - it is excellent) I was telling you about which you can view by webcast
http://www.christianfamilychurch.com/sanantonio/Display.asp?MainID=34

Jenny said...

I really enjoyed "feasting" on this today. You always have words that are so relevant!
Thank you for that! ;)

Marcia Francois said...

Woohooo - I'm so glad you got that SMS. I am super-chuffed. It is 12.24am here - i am on a roll with writing my weekly newsletter so decided to push through.

PS Dion didn't think it would go through but I said, "why not? Craig and I sms all the time." Friend in the UK.

KC said...

You Make me Smile
You have an award waiting for you over at my blog, stop on over and pick it up. :)

Anonymous said...

Annie,

What a terrific post. Change can be hard, but when we realize it from this perspective; we can go through it with the constant thought that the Lord has something bigger and better for us.
Kinda like having on a pair of shoes that do not fit right, once you get the right size you relax and enjoy the journey!

Thanks so much for sharing this, it fits so many ways!

Be blessed!

DJ