Tuesday, July 24, 2007

time travel tuesday ~ spouse encounter

Was it love at first site? or did it take a little longer...
Let's travel back to the day we met our spouse.

Here's Matt...

I met Matt on 4th of July, 1985. Matt had just graduated from Washington High School and turned 18. He was enrolled to attend St. Gregory's University in the Fall.
**let me back up just a bit..**
July 3, 1985 I had gone out with friends to Frontier City (double date) and was sleeping in late when my mother asked and then told me I was going with her to the fourth of july picnic at the church camp we frequented. I didn't want to go. I put on the pile of clothes laying on my floor. It was a pair of off white linen walking shorts (with cuffs), a bright green tank top and a deep v-necked sleeveless sweater that was off white with a green stripe across the middle. Stripes across the middle don't count when you are 5'10" and wear a size 2-4. (I grew to 6'1" after high school...) anyway, back to that day...
Matt had apparently recently broken up with his girlfriend whom I lovingly still refer to as 'that lori girl.' Never just lori. It is always, 'that lori girl.'
My cousin went to the same picnic because our mothers (who are sisters) were both helping in the kitchen. It was a camp fundraiser ya'll...
He saw Matt in town (they went to the same H.S.) and brought him along.
I flirted with Matt all day. I didn't even mind that I had blue snow cone down the front of my off white sleeveless sweater. So, we took a walk on the trails (those trails are just wrong)... and my cousin came looking for Matt so they could leave. I said the following. I admit it. It was not like me and I have not lived it down in our 18 years of marriage... "Let's be kissing when he comes and he'll leave us alone." there I said it. I did. So we did. It was hot outside you guys.
I sat there on a log with Matt in the woods watching the drips of sweat fall from his perfect square jawline... he was (and is) so cute. I told him I liked his jawline and he told me I looked like his cousin Jill who was a model. That was a big compliment coming from him.
He asked me out. It was Thursday. I was already committed on Friday and Saturday nights. He asked me out for that night. Who makes dates on a thursday? We did.
The rest is history...

Me & Matt in our early dating years right after church on a Sunday...

Me on the very bed I accrued humongous phone bills talking to him!

Matt in my room, visiting from college...

Can't wait to read your stories.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds there was a pretty instant attraction there!

Jane said...

thanks for the free travel! I played!

Michelle said...

what a great story, I can't believe just from that one meeting and here you are married 18 yrs - wow!

I loved what you said about let's just be kissing LOL

Kim said...

Your story brings a smile to my face. I was trying to remember what it was like flirting with a male that isn't a husband yet!!! Those years seem so far away. You guys look like such youngsters in your picture. I suppose you weren't that old though--I was 20 when we got married. Boy does that seem young now on the other side of it! :)

Justabeachkat said...

Loved seeing the old photos and reading "your story". I'll try to participate tomorrow night if I can. I'm actually working tomorrow, so my time is limited until tomorrow night. We'll see how I feel after being on my feet all day :-)

Hugs!
Kat

Anonymous said...

aww! let's just be kissing, lol ...too funny!

Momma Roar said...

Oh, this is so cute! I wish I would have check here - I did another one - tiny talk tuesday. But, I will tell you - mine was definately love at first site - oh boy! Great pictures too Annie!

Jenny said...

He,he!! I knew I liked you!! Fast action gal!! :) No waiting, get it done. I so wish I had time to play along today. But I just might have to post it a day late, 'cause I love telling that story. (But I need to find a picture of me with my purple glasses and I'm not sure where to start.) Hope your Tuesday is wonderful!

Renee said...

It is so neat that you married your highschool sweetheart! Great pictures too!

Joyful Days said...

My you do remember the details!! That is wonderful.

Jenileigh said...

Precious story Annie!

Anonymous said...

I love sweet love stories and am thankful to be living one!
Thanks for this fun carnival, Annie!

Nancy Face said...

OHHHHHH!!! That was just so cute! It's such a good thing that Matt broke up with "that lori girl" so he could be blessed to meet wonderful you! I can't even believe about the kissing part...you were so bold, hahaha! ;)

Karen Hossink said...

I can't believe you said that!!!
Guess it was the right thing. Now I'm thinking when the kids are after Brian and I for something, I can say, "Let's be kissing and they'll leave us alone!" Hmmm....
BTW I am totally amazed at the details you remember. How do you do that?

Now I'm off to travel back to 1989 when I met Brian!

Anonymous said...

What a great story! I am laughing about the kissing!

Anonymous said...

I love reading all these love stories! I have no idea how I signed up twice, but can't delete. Sorry!!!

Julie said...

okay, why have i been your bf for 13 years and this is the first i have heard about the kissing part of that story?? that is so hilarious!
great story! i will write mine tonight.
love u
j

Sara said...

Mine is up..I am late :p

Anonymous said...

You are crazy! Wow! What a good story! I've had your page up all day waiting to read it. My story isn't as interesting as yours. I might post it later!

Klin said...

1985 huh? I remember that year very clearly. I was young, smart, and recently freed from public education. The institution in which I had just spent 18 years.

Oh the memories you are bringing back. . .

Anonymous said...

This is my first Time Travel Tuesdays and I think this is such an awesome idea and thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Tori :) said...

OOoooh Annie!! You bad girl! "Let's be kissing..." That's very sneaky! That's like a guy line. ;) Just kidding. Y'all are so cute!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story. You guys are so cute!!