Tuesday, July 10, 2007

time travel tuesday ~ first car experience

Surely you remember your first car! What was your first car?
Do you have an interesting experience to share about learning to drive or about your first driving experiences?

My sweet daddy bought me a datsun b210 when I was about 15 1/2. I hated it. I was such a brat, it's pretty embarrassing... I had that car until right after the time I turned 16. The main memory of that car was when I still only had my permit. I was dating Matt (yes, the Matt) and I decided to drive to visit him. I took my bff Darla who had just turned 16 and got her license the week before. She was my licensed driver in the passenger seat. My parents had no idea I was driving an hour away to visit Matt. We took interstates the whole way.

Let me just pause to say that it makes my heart skip a beat to think of my Amanda, who is almost 17 driving that far... let alone on the interstates... anyway, back to the past...

We got there and back fine. Spent only a few minutes at the end of his block long driveway acting like silly school girls (which we were)... he was a big time college boy. It was Summer though. That was my first real road trip.

My bff Darla was given a brand spankin' new cutless calais for her 16th birthday. She didn't really want to be in my used car after that point. So, we always took her cool car. I never got to drive it though. I loved her car, it smelled so new.

My dad bought me a 65 mustang to which I said I would under no circumstances drive anywhere. It was old! He and Matt tried to explain the whole classic car aspect and I wouldn't hear any of it...

So, he finally bought me a Monte Carlo. It was 1985 and my car was 6 years old. I liked it pretty well and kept it until I worked full time for the State of Oklahoma, Historical Society my senior year of high school. I only went for English - O hour and then worked all day. I bought a almost new mustang gt. I kept it for about 6 months and got a transam with t-tops... which I kept until I had Amanda and realized it wasn't practical for a baby seat.

I wish I could reflect about how practical and content I was ... I can't, I can only offer the truth. Times have changed since and I have learned contentment in many different situations. In my defense, I was a good student and didn't act up (too much) in other areas of life.
I can't wait to read about your first car experiences! Please give some input on travel destinations for next week (please!).

20 comments:

Jodi said...

What I wouldn't give to have a 65 Mustang!!!! You silly girl! Mine is up, stop on over. I will have to think on some time travels and get back to you.

Have a great Tuesday (a little early LOL)
Be Blessed!
♥ Jodi

Jane said...

love this post.... I have been really busy these past few weeks, so I have not played. But things will be back to "normal" as of Saturday, so I should be visiting more often.

Irene said...

Hello Annie,
My post is up. I love Mustangs. As in The Princess Diaries!..

Anonymous said...

I might do this when Lydia takes a nap--I had a little CRX that I totaled!

ann said...

What memories! I remember having to drive big, old, clunky cars until I could buy my own! My first was a Ford Maverick that I bought when I was 18 and kept until it wore out six years later! I don't remember it really bothering me to drive the old clunkers - it was, at least, a car! Each of our girls bought their own "first" car! Chance, on the other hand, will get out pick-up! Funny how you change when it comes to the "baby" of the family! I hear Amanda's not very happy with her car - heard it through your family "grapevine" - have you been able to find her another one, yet? It's hard not to give in to the peer pressure when so many parents buy their new drivers brand new cars!
annb

Jenny said...

I can't play today--I'm leaving here shortly to return about 9 pm or so--but I loved hearing about your car stories! Life has a way of teaching us perspective, huh? ;) Have a wonderful day, and know one somebody in MS loves you!

Anonymous said...

The memories this week's TTT brought back so many memories! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I can not believe you snubbed a 65 Mustang. That was when you were young and immature, right? LOL! I would have said "No Thanks!" too. Shows what we knew at the time! I enjoyed your post!

Anonymous said...

This was a fun one!

Mustangs were the "hot" cars when I was in high school. Well, Corvettes were the hottest, but not too many people had them.

Leni said...

My parents didn't believe in buying any car for their kids. I felt so neglected! LOL

Anonymous said...

Isn't it sooo funny how our perspective changes after we become parents ourselves??? I always say "Just let me live to see my kids turn 40....then I'll be smart again" ;)
Great fun, Annie! Thanks again for hostessing this!

Emily said...

looks like fun- think I'll play along as well!

KC said...

My parents wouldn't buy a car for any of there kids, but they owned 3 or 4 cars at any given point while we were at home and driving so we could always ask to use one f there. I even drove a big old ford wagon around a few times. I didn't care what the car looked like when I was young as long as I could have the keys LOL.
what a fun Time Travel.

Joyful Days said...

Mine is up finally. I am on the road so kind of behind.

I didn't talk about my first car!! Can't believe that didn't cross my mind.

Totally know what you mean about all the things we did driving growing up and watching new drivers these days.

Thankfully I have four and a half years to go before Roo can think about a permit!!!

Blessings Annie!!

Karen Hossink said...

Which of us could truthfully say we were practical and content at 16? That's what growing up is for! LOL
Or is that what motherhood is for? I've certainly gotten more practical since the kidletts came along!

Jenny said...

LOL! I was a brat too...I remember when my dad drove in with my Nova, I just stood there and started to cry. I've apologized since...

gail@more than a song said...

Oh tsk, tsk, you wouldn't drive a 65 Mustang! Wouldn't that be fun to have now!

Michelle said...

You're so funny about your cars!!

How about a favorite vacation we took?

Anonymous said...

LOL, you?? A Brat?? Say it isn't so, LOL. I would have played along yesterday but we had a house full of family. :o)

Joyful Days said...

BTW--I tagged you for a Four Fav's meme, if you have a chance and want to play.

(())