Tuesday, July 31, 2007

time travel tuesday ~ dates gone wrong edition!

Well, for this week's time travel tuesday we are going back to a date gone wrong... with husband or before marriage it's your choice. I think it is healing to find humor in bad situations and I have the perfect day to travel back to ~ our 10th wedding anniversary! It was a doozy. So, come back later and travel with me, I can't wait to hear the crazy things you have experienced...

First and foremost a note to my hubby:
Matt, if you are reading this (and I know you will)... I love you very much.
Okay, here's my date gone wrong...

I decided that for my tenth anniversary it would be a wonderful idea to plan an outing to Guthrie, OK to spend the night at a bed & breakfast. Guthrie is an old town with a wonderful old theater, the only professional year round theater close to here (they maintain a staff of actors there)... Pollard Theater...
I had been taking some classes around this time like Creative Writing and some Theater classes... I was considering teaching drama for a bit. So, I was really into plays!
I made reservations at a bed and breakfast right by the theater, ordered tickets to the play showing at that time "House of Blue Leaves."
It was going to be wonderful, we would go eat dinner, then see the play... maybe walk around down town guthrie for a while and then go up to the room at the bed and breakfast... wake up as late as we chose to, go down for breakfast, window shop the antique stores and then head home after a bite of lunch... sounds so nice huh?
Here's what happened.
We arrived in Guthrie, ate dinner and headed for the play. I had not been feeling well earlier in the day. Matt didn't like the play. At all. We stepped outside for a breath of fresh air during intermission when he let me know he had no plans to return for the second half. We headed up to the room. He was very displeased to find there was no t.v. in our room. How would he watch the news for goodness sakes? His remedy? A late night drive to the Walmart in town to buy (you guessed it) a small television. He hoisted that thing up two flights of stairs to our room and we did catch the news. When we woke up it wasn't in his plans to have breakfast with the other guests at the b&b so we scurried to yours and my favorite fine dining establishment for an egg mcmuffin! (on our way out of town)... This was June 17. Our anniversary. Amanda's birthday is July 28. He walks in, sets the television down in it's box and announces to Amanda "Happy Birthday, I've bought you a television." The perfect ending to a wonderful night out...
Remembering this night out is funny to me. Matt usually liked to see plays and is a great sport for things I plan. It was just an off date for us.
You know, looking back at this date I realize it wasn't that bad, especially compared to our 15th anniversary which was spent in a hospital room with Izzy shortly after her near drowning accident. Sometimes occurrences put life into perspective...
I do love Matt and we have the best times together, just not in Guthrie.


Be sure to sign up and share your tales of a date gone wrong...

20 comments:

Jodi said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! This sounds like one of my anniversaries too! We did a B&B, (no play) hubby hated it, no tv, we went to a Wal-mart in search for a TV as well. He didn't like the joint breakfast either.

How funny!
♥ Jodi

Susan said...

I can see where that would be one that you would never forget, and never want to duplicate!!
Susan

smileymamaT said...

Aw you're right, it doesn't sound so bad, at least you got the birthday shopping taken care of! :) We once went into a mall to find a radio when we won a romantic getaway at a fancy hotel, but wanted music! There was a Radio Shack directly underneath us.....and NO portable radios!
T

Corrie said...

Annie,
That is so funny! You always make me laugh! Hope your next anniversary is positively splendid!! (You are so right about the perspective thing!!)
Love ya,
Corrie

Anonymous said...

Great story, have you told that one to the kids yet?

Nancy Face said...

What a horrible anniversary! LOL! Thank goodness for true love! ♥ What a great post! :D

KC said...

I know without even having to ask DH, that he would hate a B&B. It is just not him. But it sounds like it all worked out(for Amanda anyways LOL)
I'm going over now to work on my TTT for this week.

Barb said...

So you two won't be celebrating any more anniversaries in Guthrie, right? LOL Oh my word, this sounds soooo typical. I can't believe he actually went out and bought a TV. Men!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

Oh no! I'm sorry your anniversary didn't go well!

Anonymous said...

That's funny! Did Amanda know the history of her gift?
We love B & B's...but I'm the one that doesn't usually care for the group bkfst...I mean, we're there to be alone!! ;)

Karen said...

Good story! I loved the scripture you posted above, too. I think that sums up the key to a good marriage -- just be good to one another and you can't go wrong.

Full-On-Forward said...

First time by- BEAUTIFUL Signature for Loving Annie,

Blessings to You- Very Beautiful Site,

John

Sarah said...

I love your story, I know how that goes - just off days. We're celebrating our 1st anniversary in a few weeks and I'm hoping all goes well!! We'll see - Jesse's planning it, and while he usually plans things that are wonderful in the end, sometimes there are a few more mishaps than I would prefer! hehe
And thanks for the reality check at the end of your post- what a strong relationship you must have after having gone through so much together. May God bless each of your future dates together. :)

Anonymous said...

He bought a TV?!! How funny. I'm trying to think of a disaster date...

Haley said...

There's something about those weekends that you plan out perfectly always seeming to turn bad in some way...at least you can look back and laugh about it now! :-)

Michelle said...

First of all I couldn't believe he went out and bought a TV just for one night at a B&B to catch the news! Then I had to laugh when he turned around and gave it to Amanda for her bday :) After spending that money on that trip I would have been a bit upset that he didn't even eat the breakfast that was provided! You eat w/other guests when you go out to restaurants LOL I'm glad you can look back and laugh now though!

I just couldn't come up with any bad dates!

Tori :) said...

That sounds like an "Everybody Loves Raymond" episode! LOL! I'm sorry!!

Jennifer said...

The best-laid plans...! :-D Sorry about the way your weekend turned out...hopefully that is the last anniversary like that! The disasters always make the best stories, though!

Karen Hossink said...

Annie,
I am sorry I missed posting for TTT today, but it's probably gonna be a couple weeks until I'm able to "play" again.
Just wanted to stop in and see where you were traveling today. Great story! (In a bummer sort of way...)
Love you,
Karen

gail@more than a song said...

Good story....I think maybe all of us have those off times sooner or later.