Tuesday, July 17, 2007

time travel tuesday ~ camp!!!


What is your favorite memory(s) from Summer camp?

I spent a week every summer I can remember growing up at Camp Rock Creek! I love that place... It is about 30 miles away from where I live and where I met Matt. It holds many many special memories. Here are a few that come to mind...

  • I loved camp when I was younger because I enjoyed swimming and all the singing and games played at camp. Who can resist a good shaving cream fight?
  • As I got older I loved camp for the spiritual aspects, it was a place of reflection, friendship and at that time (in my mind) the most important thing in the world... BOYS!
  • We made up skits every year and competed against other cabins. I remember one year (junior high times) that we did a silly skit about escargot... good times. Usually the fun skits involved dressing a favorite guy up like one of the girls.
  • Another favorite competition was the cleanest cabin. You got to be first in the mess hall line and canteen for goodness sakes! If you had the dirtiest cabin you got the dreaded dirty sock which had to be carried around the entire day... and you had to clean the mess hall... ugh!
  • I remember one really stormy year in which we spent every night in the hall of the open foyer. It was crazy scary to see those dark clouds come over the tops of the trees. The older girls really got scared... I remember one fainting!
  • I always over packed! I single handedly clothed (very stylishly I might add) many of the girls in my cabin for a lot of years... mom loved my the laundry bag when I came home.
  • Mom was usually the cook. It was great to have the perk of raiding the refrigerator at night!
  • I was baptized at camp. I still remember the misty foggy glow of the pool that night. God's presence was felt.
  • Who remembers "get your elbows off the table Annie Bailey?"... "round the mess hall you must go..." I loved that!
  • One of my last years there I was a junior counselor and it was rumored that I snuck out at night with a fellow boy junior counselor to ***kiss*** ... I can neither confirm nor deny those assumptions. It was a fun year though. (well, til the friend who was dating that boy found out that rumor and well, didn't forget it for many many years.)
  • I told you I met Matt there, but not during a camp week... I'll save that story for another travel.


That sounds like a good place to go next week, how we met our husbands... what do you think?

31 comments:

Nancy Face said...

I loved reading about your wonderful camp experiences! I always loved my camp too, but it had a HUGE difference...no boys! Now I go every year as an adult leader...this summer will be my 18th year doing that, and I think I have even more fun than the girls, haha!

Justabeachkat said...

I loved reading about your experiences, but I can't contribute since I didn't go to camps. Sad, I know.

Hugs!
Kat

A Captured Reflection said...

ooh I never ever experienced a Camp, but I'd love to join in next week's, where we met our husbands!

Angela Baylis said...

Hi!

I found your blog from another and another... I really like your blog! My name is Angela and my family calls me "Annie" so if you don't mind I may borrow your picture! Let me know if it's a problem! Thanks SO much! I am new to this!

I like your camp story idea! I had a few but... unfortunately I don't know what my URL is??? I have a Mac computer and am not sure how that works!

Blessings,
Ang.... "Annie"

Corrie said...

Hey Annie,
I loved catching up on your blog posts...laughed out loud when I read your reference to my hating the bluetooth! Ha ha. I am so glad that it went well at the healing school. I love your new little picture of you kissing Izzy. So sweet. Well, talk to you more soon! Have a great day, my friend!
Corrie

Joyful Days said...

We had awesome cooks at camp when I was a counselor. They were some really neat ladies.

Great memories Annie!!

Anonymous said...

Those all sound like such fun memories!

Tori :) said...

Shaving cream fights! YES! I do rememeber those. Awesome memories.

Kim said...

Well---
I sure enjoyed reading about your camp experience! Go read mine--kind of pathetic--those memories are not among my most cherished! :)
*smiles*
Kim

Mandalyn said...

I remember a lot of those same things from my camp! It's funny how the same traditions are carried in other camps so far away as well. I was baptized at camp, too! I love remembering the presence of God I felt on those dark nights by the pool!

Anonymous said...

Great memories, Annie. I never went to camp, as a child.

Debi said...

Oh, how fun to read! I'm like Carrie...never went to camp either.

Anonymous said...

How fun! I can't participate this week because I didn't ever get to go to camp. Bummer.

Anonymous said...

Great memories! Camp was always a blast!

-atomik kitten said...

You went to Falls Creek, didn't you? LOL

Anonymous said...

You were the cook's kid??? Boy, you DID have it made...lol!!
Fun memories...thanks for sharing and for hostessing TTT.

Karen Hossink said...

Yes, I loved the skits, too!
And I would have been one of the girls who benefitted from you bringing all those clothes, so on their behalf, "Thanks!" :)

Anonymous said...

I remember in HS sitting in the evening around the fire in the ampitheater at Angeles Crest Christian Camp singing and listening to the speaker. That was the best part!!

My daughter goes next Monday!!

Leni said...

I'm so busy with kids, I almost forgot to post! Thanks for bringing up a favorite memory!!

Lorie said...

I enjoyed reading your camp memories! Brought back some memories for me.

KC said...

LOL Annie all your camp memories I have those same sort of ones.. EVEN the sneaking out at night to kiss a boy one while on Staff. LOL
What a great Time travel.

Anonymous said...

I love it, Annie! I posted about camp, too!

Jill said...

This was so fun to read...especially since I never went to camp growing up.

gail@more than a song said...

I was a little bit glad to read in your comments that some other people didn't go to camp, I didn't get that experience either!
But we did send our kids to church camps/christian camps and it was always such a great thing for them.

Robin Green said...

Here are my camp experiences--I went twice. I cried all day the first day--and all night, and my dad picked me up the next day after he got off work. Both times. Pathetic isn't it. I couldn't stay away from home for more than one night until I was in college and had to.

Michelle said...

what great memories! I actually never attended a summer sleep-away camp! Sounds like I missed out on some fun!

Constance said...

Good Tuesday evening Annie,
you had the kind of camp experiences every child should get to enjoy !

Joyismygoal said...

sounds fun

Anonymous said...

I hate that I missed participating in this Annie! Your camp experiences sound so much like mine. I loved going to camp!

Anonymous said...

A little off topic, Guys... I have a question. Last week I discovered this site:
[url=http://www.rivalspot.com]Rivalspot.com - Ps3 Live Tournaments[/url]
They say you can play online EA sports game tournaments on any console for cash... had anyone tried that before? Looks like a cool idea...
Are there any other sites where you can play sports games for real moneys? I Googled and found only Bringit.com and Worldgaming.com but it looks these guys don't specialize in sport gamez. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

A little off topic, Guys... I have a question. Last week I discovered this site:
[url=http://www.rivalspot.com]Rivalspot.com - Wii tournaments for money[/url]
They say you can play online EA sports game tournaments on any console for cash... had anyone tried that before? Looks like a cool idea...
Are there any other sites where you can play sports games for real moneys? I Googled and found only Bringit.com and Worldgaming.com but it looks these guys don't specialize in sport gamez. Any suggestions?