Wednesday, April 4, 2007

SCT~Slow Cooker Ham for Easter~

Easter Ham...

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 (8 pound) cured, bone-in picnic ham

DIRECTIONS

  1. Spread about 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar on the bottom of the slow cooker crock. Place the ham flat side down into the slow cooker - you might have to trim it a little to make it fit. Use your hands to rub the remaining brown sugar onto the ham. Cover, and cook on Low for 8 hours.
Enjoy!
I mentioned that we took Izzy Monday for botox and phenol injections. She is already appearing more relaxed and flexible. The phenol's effects are immediate, the botox takes about two weeks to have full effects. The plan is that in two weeks we will go back to the physical therapist at the place we went for botox and begin serial casting on Izzy's feet. Each week for four weeks they will remove and replace the casts to get her feet in the right position. I am not really looking forward to this four weeks for a few reasons... Izzy is already pretty heavy (about 45 pounds) and it will make everything a little harder having casts on. The main reason is I am not sure how she will handle this. They tried doing serial casting when we were in Dallas not long after her near drowning, she was still in the middle of the neurostorms and really freaked out. They had to remove them immediately because her heartrate went to 250 bpm. Anyway, I just pray that this works for her feet.

I took Izzy to the dentist today for her 10 day follow up on her dental procedures. She got a thumbs up A+. Everything looks really good, is healing perfectly. Praise God. One less thing now to think about.

We did therapy two times today. After the dentist trip and quick lunch with my buddy Melody (carryout from Panera-yum!), I came home and Jane (from church) came over to help with therapy. She usually comes on Wednesdays. Later Amanda then mom helped with the second session. It got pretty crazy around here while trying to cook dinner, realizing it was time for Bailey's track to be finished, trying to do therapy... I need to clone myself so I can be in three places at once. I know we all have moments like this! Izzy did really well in assisted crawling today which was good because I wasn't sure what the phenol and botox would do with her muscles and the crawling.

We... as a family... are continuing our nightly chain prayers. The kids really enjoy it and come to us to remind us in the evenings. Matt and I were laying down to go to sleep last night and were talking about the interesting things the kids pray for. Such sweet prayers going up. Speaking of prayers, I feel so blessed to know so many are raising Izzy and our family up in prayer now. It is very comforting and I know that God is guiding our steps.


"I will praise the Lord at all times. I will constantly speak his praises." Psalm 34:1 NLT


For more slow cooker recipes, head over to Sandra's blog~


post signature

11 comments:

Haley said...

Your recipe for the ham sounds delicious. Im happy to hear that in the midst of your crazy household, Izzy's therapy is going well and you are somehow retaining your sanity.

Have a wonderful thursday!

~Haley

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some encouraging things have happened this week! I just wanted to let you know that I tagged you. Come on over and see!

Maggie said...

Hi Annie,
I have been considering putting my ham in my crockpot. I have just been trying to figure out how to accomplish that.

Have a blessed Easter.
Maggie

Anonymous said...

I love to see your updates on Izzy and am awed by your strength.


Thanks for the ham recipe!

MJ

ann said...

I'm glad the shots helped and Izzy is more relaxed. I remember on your updates when they put the casts on Izzy's feet before. I will definitely pray that she is able to tolerate them better now! She has come so far since the beginning! It's so great to read how you and Matt include the whole family in everything you do - even the tough decisions. I think that's so great and I'm sure the other kids feel how powerful their prayers are - knowing that you trust them to help make decisions for your family! You continue to be an inspiration by sharing Izzy's story and sharing your faith with so many! I continue to lift Izzy and your family before God in prayer each day!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm! I can't wait to eat my ham on Sunday! :o) I've cooked a ham once in the crockpot. It was actually pretty darn good!

I'm so glad Izzy got a good report at the dentist! I hope the casts go just as well. :o)

Jenny said...

You may already do this, but please be sure and give us a day's warning before you take Izzy to have the cast stuff done so we can all pray at the appointment time. I know God is not limited to our time and space, but it helps to know that while you're there in the midst of it, we're praying for you!

Michelle said...

Oh I bet this ham comes out nice and sweet! I'm going to try it this Sunday!

Glad to hear Izzy is starting to appear more relaxed and flexible - hope that continues and will be praying about the casting! Great check up with the dentist!

Robin Green said...

This would be wonderful to cook for Easter--except I've been invited to someone's house and don't have to cook! I'm so excited! That is great news about Izzy! The Lord will continue to work miracles in her life, I know!

By the grace of God ... said...

Love your easy ham recipe!! Continuing to pray for Izzy and usually check in to see the progress she is making!

Sandra said...

Love this Annie, thanks for sharing :)

And thank you for always dropping by and being so sweet to me, I just love your blog, hopefully now that I'm getting back to normal I can start visiting you more :)

Hugs,
Sandra