Friday, March 2, 2007

Favorite Ingredient Friday ~ Tortilla Soup


I don't have a written recipe for this soup, but it is so good!!!!
Tortilla Soup...
Chicken (I usually buy frozen fajita meat at Sams or a roasted chicken and pull off and shred the meat.)
large can of chicken broth (40ish ounces)
green chilis, 4 oz.
onion chopped
canola oil
cup of salsa
heaping teaspoon of chili powder & ground cumin
cilantro
cheddar cheese
avocados
corn tortillas
Saute the chicken with onion and green chilis, add in broth, salsa, & spices. Salt to taste. Let simmer .... Bring oil to boil, roll up a few corn tortillas at a time and slice them making strips, fry them in the canola oil until crispy... lightly browned. Take out and salt, set aside... Cut the avocado into chunks.
To serve, place your cooked tortillas in the bottom of the bowl, lay in some avocado chunks, pour soup over and add cheese to the top.
I served this soup to the Australians when they were here in the Summer. They took the recipe home, it is just sooo good. I think making your own tortillas makes the difference.
Enjoy! For more FIF go to Overwhelmed with Joy!
If the thought of this yummy soup puts you in the "party" mood, there is a big party going on over at 5 Minutes for Mom. So, welcome to my blog ... sit down and stay for a while!

13 comments:

FamilySnows said...

Sounds yummy. Your recipe certainly looks more authentic. Mine is about opening a bunch of cans!!! I love avocados - we'll have to try it!

Michelle said...

oh my goodness does this sound good! I know my husband would really enjoy this soup too - thanks!

Pamela said...

Oh, I can almost taste how good this is going to taste already, with all the yummy ingredients, chilles and avocados! Thanks!

Leann said...

love your blog.Ill be back.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Another Tortilla soup recipe! Sounds fantastic. I hope you don't mind if I steal it and your Brown Sugar slow cooker chicken recipe that I saw a few posts down. I love your daughters pink hair too. My mom wouldn't let me do that at her age. You must be a cool mom :) Thanks for the recipes and have a wonderful weekend.

Rae said...

Ohh yum, I've already seen this recipe today but now it's just seriously calling my name. I can't wait to make it this weekend. Thanks for sharing! =)

Arlene said...

That sounds so yummy!!!!

Robin Green said...

Hey Annie
Thanks for stopping by my part of the party! Once my hubby sees No. 2 he will probably make me take it off!! :) It might have been a little to secret!!

Qtpies7 said...

I've been wanting to try this for some time now! Sounds yummy!
Hello from the blog party!

Anonymous said...

YUMMY! I absolutely love Tortilla soup. You have been putting some good recipes on here girl! I loved your Friday's Feast. I am party hopping and thought I would come on over! I know...I am not new...I visit often but I wanted to say "hi"!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. This soup looks so good! Thanks!

Overwhelmed! said...

This soup recipe sounds delicious! It's still chilly enough here to justify making soup. :)

Thanks so much for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

hi nice to meet you
visiting from the blog party