Monday, October 1, 2007

time travel tuesday ~ first home


This week we will travel back to our first home... was it your very own apartment, or a home with your new spouse? What memories do you have from that first home? How did you make that first house (or apartment) a home?








I moved from my parent's house to my first home, following my marriage... to Matt. We bought a little three bedroom house about 15 minutes from my childhood home. Matt moved in a few weeks before our wedding. We both worked, me during the day for the state of Oklahoma and Matt worked evenings. Our furniture was hand-me-downs from family members or stuff from our childhood rooms. I remember mauve and country blue were the colors of choice at the time and I bought pillows to help out the plain brown sofa.

Our first Christmas tree was huge! Matt cut it down and came home with it and couldn't get it through the door, it was so huge! He cut the top and bottom several times to make it work. It was beautiful to me and I would sit and just look at it at night. There was a park a few blocks away and I would walk there in the evenings. On the weekends we would spend the morning cleaning and then go out and do yardwork together. We had the cutest elderly neighbors. We still talk about them.

Matt would come home and basically undress from the back door to the bed. I would wake up and find this trail of clothes. I played the game of putting the hamper different places, but that didn't work. (still doesn't)...

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

A post about our first home, huh...well, that would be known as really baring it all...only for you, Annie!

Corey~living and loving said...

Thanks for the fun theme. :)

Leni said...

My Tuesday felt "off" last week w/o the Time Travel! Whew!

Nancy Face said...

How wonderful that you started right out in your own home! It was fun imagining how that GINORMOUS Christmas tree must have looked, and all the "pruning" that it took to make it fit in the house! :D

Silly hubbies and their clothes trails...well, I guess they'll never get lost, hee hee! ;)

Sara said...

lol men are all the same eh !! Mine is up

ohAmanda said...

FUn! I might do this when Lyddie naps. We've got a great 1st house story!

dquiggles said...

I did get the new signature! Thanks! I enjoyed talking with you also...I've been worried about you guys and your illnesses, I hope things are better during the trip. :-)

Cute TTT by the way!

Sonya said...

Since you mentioned your tree, I'm trying to remember ours. I think it was artificial (can you believe it?) but after that year, we've had real ones ever since! What fun memories!

Anonymous said...

I've been awol the last few weeks, either two busy or too brain dead to come up with a TTT post. Glad to be back, and this was a fun one!

Anonymous said...

A trail of clothes, eh?? How funny.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

So glad the TTT is back. I know the feeling about the hamper thing.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I want to do this post! But the question is are you talking of a "bought" home or the first one after leaving my folk's home.

Eyvonne said...

Posted my first home story. Really enjoyed reading others' stories as well!

Eyvonne

KC said...

LOL.. My DH still has that habit of undressing from the door to the couch or bedroom.. I give up after 13 years of trying to fix this problem.. My kids aren't as bad as daddy, but they have the bad habit of kicking there shoes off as they walk though the room.

Irene said...

Oh Annie, what sweet memories!
I loved today's subject. Thank you, and have a lovely trip. Enjoy yourself!

Michelle said...

what memories of your first place together! LOL about the clothes and hamper! Joe (most times) would put his clothes in front of, or on top of the hamper...I would ask him, is it too much effort to lift the lid of the hamper and put your clothes right inside...I mean you're so close to it! LOL

Theresa said...

Thanks for such a fun theme- I had a great time remembering our first house.

keep trying on the hamper! :)

Shawna said...

Love the Christmas tree story!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm so late...I completely forgot this week!!! But it's up now. :-)