Tuesday, September 11, 2007

time travel tuesday ~ first job experience


Time to share your first job experience...
What was your first job experience?
Do you remember the first paycheck, starting salary?
Do you remember your first boss, coworkers?
What was your favorite task/least favorite task?
How did that job end?



My first job was right before I was 16. I was at the mall and saw my cousin Dee Ann working in the fabric shop. It was a small fabric shop called So-Fro Fabrics. She mentioned that they were hiring a few people to help inventory the store. I spoke to the manager and was hired on the spot. I was so excited!

My mother has always sewn things. I remember coming home from school when I was young and there would be an outfit laying on my bed she had made while I was away (that and my dolls lined up with their hair washed and curled, but that's another story altogether)... Yes, my mom was a worker, and so we spent many days looking at fabric. Enough so that I felt well in my element to work at this store.

Right across the way in the mall was a greek restaurant called "Olgas." They had a three-cheese olga that was wonderful, and spinach pie! YUM. Anyone have an Olga's near them? They have vacated Okahoma... Anyway, first job... so I worked there most Saturdays and some evenings after school. There was a woman that usually worked with me and we got along fine. I cannot remember her name, but one night we were closing up and a young man came in asking for change. We were both there and gave him change. I guess he was some kind of quick change artist type, because we came up a little short. She blamed me. I started applying at other stores because of this irritation. I moved up in the world to a young fashion clothing store... I can't remember the name of the place, but all my $$$ went for things from that store.

I think my starting salary was minimum wage at the time, $3.35/hr. Woo Hoo! I don't even know what minimum wage is now, but this sure sounds like a tiny hourly amount.

The scariest time I remember was leaving the mall after work one night, it wasn't dark yet. A man walked along with me, too close. He had a trench type coat on and opened one side to reveal many gold chains. I wasn't interested... I told him I didn't have any money. He said he had friends who would pay dearly for my time. That set off the alarms in my head. I was about to my car at that point so I jumped in quickly and noticed he had run over to the passenger's side to get in too. He got in the door but had not gotten seated so I peeled out of my parking spot and he lost his grip on the door. I drove to the other side of the mall before I stopped to close the door. Matt was at my parent's house when I got home so I told them all what had happened. We called the mall security and they caught him. He had other complaints and some warrants out for him already. That was scary.

I can't say I learned a whole lot at my first job, other than how to cut fabric and how to make a baby blanket... oh, and how to escape a psycho felon!!! Good stuff.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm first??? Looking forward to reading yours and everyone else's tomorrow.

Marcia Francois said...

Hi

Annie, I LOVE your new profile pic - cute, cute, cute

Jenny said...

Hey! Mine's up. :)
What about your first job??

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Mine's up, too! Where is yours Annie?

Corrie said...

Hey Annie,
I haven't been blogging in many many days...
I'm catching up this morning, coffee in hand. I really enjoyed catching up on your posts. So sorry to hear about Eddie. That is tough. Your picture of Izzy at school with her friends is so sweet. She is just precious. I am envious of Rachel!!! =). I drive through OK on occasion too, so I'll have to "make it happen" sometime!
Hope you have a wonderful day. I'll check back later to read about your first job!
Corrie

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

How scary! Thank God you were quicker than he was!

Sara said...

wow didnt you love the starting wages back then :p Mine is up

Nancy Face said...

I ♥ sewing, and I've always thought it would be fun to work in a fabric store some day...after the kids are all grown! ;)

Psycho Felon Trench Coat Man was the scariest thing EVER! Wow, I'm proud of you---you were so smart and brave, escaping from him the way you did! :O

Anonymous said...

What a fun first job!! Sounds like something I would love. I don't sew, but I do cross stitch so I think a fabric store would be perfect. :-)

That incident sounds SO scary. Thank goodness you were okay!

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Eddie did do a lot for the community, didn't he? That was a nice obituary.

My first real job was as a waitress at a bowling alley, but I kept forgetting to give silverware to the patrons so they moved me to short order cook. Talk about a mistake! The hamburgers I could make...eggs over easy? not so much. And I still can't make eggs anyway except scrambled. lol Great job, though. A lot of fun.

Debi said...

Wow...it wasn't my "first job" but I worked at a So-Fro for a couple of years immediately after I got married. What a blast from the past...don't think many people even remember So-Fro anymore.

Emily said...

Thanks for hosting...I had so much fun thinking back to my first real job experience : ) Thank you also for the information regarding Mr. Binyon... what great accomplishments he achieved during his life time.

Susan said...

Oh what a scary thing to happen!!
Susan

Anonymous said...

Wow! How scary! I'm so glad you weren't hurt!

Corey~living and loving said...

Ihad mine up last night...but forgot to post it here. Duh....I can't wait to read everyone's, including yours Annie. I haven't read it yet! Sorry!

Blessed Beyond a doubt.... said...

scary!!!!!

Corey~living and loving said...

oh my....your story scared me. I am so very glad you got away safely!

Karen said...

Nice memories of your first job.
This is my first time posting here and mine is up!
http://www.ageorgiaangel.com/blog/?p=127

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a scary experience! What a sicko! Glad they caught him!!

Kerri said...

Great idea for a time travel! Your experience sounds very scary... glad it all worked out okay.

ZAM said...

Oh I missed this one..would have loved to participate. Mine was when I was 17, at the College Research Dept. I was sort of their part time clerk... Anyway, that was a long time ago but reminded me well of good memories..Bout your job, that's scary ..I mean about that psycho. But oh you must really be an expert at cutting fabrics. God bless

Karen Hossink said...

Oh, I love Olga's! When I was pregnant for the first time my mom and sister told me we were going Christmas shopping and then to Olga's for lunch. Instead, they were planning a surprise baby shower for me. I DID appreciate the party but at the end asked, (somewhat disappointed...) "Does this mean we aren't going to Olga's?"
That event in the parking lot is creepy. You do have interesting experiences!

Jenny said...

Wow! God was really with you that night, huh? Leaving the mall late at night was the worst part of the job for me, too. And we had to make a nightly deposit at the bank across the parking lot before we left for the night. Whoever was in charge of that decision was not thinking clearly.
I'm so glad you didn't become a statistic, and now you're my friend!

Michelle said...

oh my goodness how scary to hear about your experience with that guy at the mall!

Nancy Face said...

Silly slacker me finally wrote my time travel, haha! :D

gail@more than a song said...

That is so scary about the man in the parking lot! God really was with you then!
One of my first jobs was in a fabric store, Hancocks! Could you have guessed that about me!