Monday, August 6, 2007

time travel tuesday ~ birth story edition!

Join in to share your birth story!
What did you think when you first saw your bundle of joy?
How was the birthing experience for you? hubby?
I loved being pregnant, each time. Giving birth... not so much, but it was always so worth the outcome.

Amanda was our first baby. I didn't know her sex until she was actually born. They couldn't tell when we had our ultrasound and they didn't do multiple ultrasounds. I seriously considered (more than once) paying to have another just to find out. I never was good at waiting for surprises! I thought she was a boy. Her room was blue with rocking horses. I took boy clothes to the hospital. My dear Aunt Margie gave me a pretty little green dress with smocking I packed at the last minute because, well, I guess it could be a girl. After a few trips to the hospital and back home, it came the day for Amanda's arrival. I had done my grocery shopping for the week and was making dinner... doing laundry... you know, having lots of fun when I felt a pain that I just knew had to be the real thing this time! We waited a little while before heading back to the hospital. I really didn't want the disappointment again of being sent home. It made me feel like I was failing at giving birth. Why didn't I realize it had to come out eventually? They checked me and guess what? They gave me some pretty heavy duty sleeping pills (seconal I believe) and sent me home! UGH. Not again! I fell asleep before we made it home. Matt tucked me into bed and left to visit his mother who was about 45 minutes away at his grandmother's house. I just remember waking up and screaming. Being half in and half out of consciousness. My mom happened to come over about that time to check in on me. She called Matt's grandmother's house immediately to have them send him back home. Being in labor and being heavily sedated is not a good combination! After a few hours of in and out and pain we convinced the nurses to let me come back. I was dilated to a 7 when we arrived. I got to stay. YAY. By the time they got the epidural ready it was about time to push. I wanted to get this over with, quickly. I asked the doctor how many pushes to get her out (kinda like how many licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop) and she said a couple of contractions. I pushed as hard as I could. There was cutting involved, first with dull instruments and then with sharp... I didn't feel it or care at that point. There was much tearing involved. Turns out this doctor was on call and this was only her second delivery. My OBGYN was not available. This doctor btw is now highly sought out in the OKC area. I guess she has learned a thing or two... and out came baby girl Pettigrew. They rang the chimes in the waiting room to notify family the baby had been born. My SIL told me later that Matt's grandmother "marmar" cried and said those chimes were the prettiest sound she had ever heard. This was her first great grandchild. Matt went down to tell them "it's a girl!" and then shortly afterwards they all came in to say hello. I am going to try to post the pic right after this birth experience because Marmar always said that I should look at that picture when considering having another baby. I guess it didn't affect my reasoning, I had three more! I'll save their very different birth stories for another time, this post is already getting too long... but I have to mention the epidural kicked in after the birth and I couldn't feel my legs for hours. Matt changed the diapers and learned things from the nurse Rochelle while I slept. It took a couple of days to recover from the seconal. Amanda looked like her father's side of the family and was adorable with blond hair and a big nose. I admit I expected a gerber baby, not a little newborn. I hadn't had much experience with a newborn so she looked funny to me. Now I love that newborn look. She was a beautiful baby, child and now 17 year old! The worst birth experience I had was with Bailey. The funniest was Emelia, she was the easiest and fastest too! She was born with a full head of thick black hair and was fat! I laid there and laughed and honestly wouldn't believe she was mine after two almost bald blond babies unless I had seen it myself!
I just have to add the experience of giving birth to Emelia. Matt is a question asker! He always has a question and right as I was pushing Emelia out he said to the doctor, "Can I ask a question?" I said "NO!!!" After she was out I said, "okay Matt, what was your question." to which he replied, "I was just wondering if it is normal for the head to collapse like that while it is coming out." Boy was I glad he saved that question!!!!!!

I can't wait to read your stories!

39 comments:

Klin said...

I had horrible, hard pregnancies. But I loved giving birth and holding my little ones- a lot.

Anonymous said...

What a great story! How funny that you were so sure it was a boy, and out came a girl! I am sure it is difficult for you to believe she is so grown. It happens too quickly!

Julie said...

Awwww...I love birth stories, especially yours. And mine. I will have to post mine later. My 2nd and 3rd were the best ones, I think.
I still can't believe how grown up Amanda is. Isn't it weird to be remembering her birth and then seeing her as a young woman? It's weird to me when I look at Alex and she is only 13.

Anonymous said...

By the way, I posted mine Annie!

http://baseballsandbows.blogspot.com/2007/08/time-travel-tuesday-birth-experience.html

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Great story!! I can't believe they drugged you up and sent you home. How crazy is that? And I can't believe your hubby left you to go to his moms! Hope he made up for that with flowers and jewlery :O)

Amberly said...

Wow! You barely made it to the hospital!

Mine's up...
http://momentsamidmesses.blogspot.com/2007/08/time-travel-tuesday-birth-experience.html

Jodi said...

Great birth story Annie!! Mine's up

♥ Jodi

HomeSchool Mommy said...

Dang! I want to hear the other ones, too!

Anonymous said...

Awww, I just loved reading this, Annie!!! I admit, though, when I read that Matt went 45 minutes away while you were about to give birth, I about hit the roof, LOL! David wouldn't have had his noodle knocked if he would have even left the house, LOL!

Going now to post mine. :o)

Jenny said...

Great story!! I liked how you couldn't find out what you were having, and thought it was a boy, and out popped Amanda!! :) God was smiling at you that day!

Mine's up:
http://acoachforlife.blogspot.com/2007/08/time-travel-tuesdays-birth-experiences.html

Jennifer said...

How funny...my story today is about our first, who we thought was going to be a girl, but who ended up being a boy! :) Aren't surprises fun?? Looking forward to reading more birth stories. :)

Anonymous said...

Mine's Up:

http://scsnugglebug.blogspot.com/2007/08/tine-travel-tuesday-were-having-baby.html

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't fathom that the hospital sent home an at-term mom with sleeping pills!! Glad everything worked out ok!

This has been fun to think back over. Mine is at
http://barbarah.wordpress.com/2007/08/07/time-travel-tuesday-birthing-edition/

Anonymous said...

Great story Annie. I could never wait to find out the sex of the baby. I am so OCD I have to know so everything is just right!

Susan said...

I'm so happy all turned out well after all that.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Well first of all we are a blended family,I feel very strongly attached to all of them.

Nathan age 24 this month is my first Labor of Love, although I did not give birth to him He was just 5 when we became larger family. We have been through alot with him he is turning in to a fine young man.

Wynter 22 in December, our only daughter. Being pregnant with her was such a joy, I worked even on the day she was born I was an aerobics and weight training instructer. My mom was willing to pay for an ultrasound, but because I was very healthy they would not do one do we had to wait. I was told my due date was January 20, but they were wrong, I went into labor on December 30th, they would not admit me in the afternoon, but be early ecening I decided they were gonna keep me, they did and I finally got some pain medication, it helped some @ 11pm they broke my water, I was dilated only to 5, at 11:35pm I said I needed to push, they did not believe me, the nurse checked and just went crazy, She was born at 11:47pm (side note when my mom had us it went very fast when it was time) I had worned them of this but they said it will be hours, it was 12 minutes. She was full term, we were home the next evening, So we got to watch the ball drop for new years eve. P.S. not a strecth mark one.She was the first love of my life.

Kyle age 21 in September is my second labor of love he was 2 and to this day is always happy and so full of life also a labor of love and very much loved.

Collin age 7, we were told we could not have anymore children, it had something to do with my overies. It took me a few years to think I would have no more children, well they weree wrong, but because of everthing being off, I never even thought about it, I was very sick for a while and finally told Tom I had the flu really bad or I was pregnant, we went to the store and bought a 2 pack of tests, Tom said I sould wait till morning, but I couldn't so I did the test and it was positive, so I did the 2nd one same thing, I called the Doctor and went in that day so they could do the blood test, well I was pregnant, I knew when I had gotten pregnant because of hunting season, I calculated the date of bith to June 22, yet again the doctor said July 15. they did an ultrasound right away I was already 16 weeks along, Wynter was with me and she called her dad and said we were having a boy, he had already said Collin was a boy, but then the doctor decided the babies head looked to big so we went to Denver for a 3d ultra sound, Collin was perfect as they called me on my Birthday with the news. I was very sick with Collin and even had to be put in the hospital for a short time for a really bad blatter infection. Got though that and I was done with being sick too, so being pregnant with him was wonderful, I loved, loved, loved being pregnant. Well the 1st part of June I started to have contractions, to him that was 6 week too early, so he put me on breathine, that was awful, As MY due date got closer I was cutting down on the medication, had a doctors appointment on June 21 and my doctor was out of town, so I asked the other doctor if I could quit the medication, I had not taken any that day and he said yes I could stop, I went into labor as I was still working and just made a mention to my families about it as they picked up their children, I was not for but about 11pm, I thought my water had broken, contactions 2 to 5 minutes apart, called in and he said to head up to the hospital, my water really broke as we were waling into the hospital. that was a little ater midnight June 22, i was having major back labor, I chose to not have an epidural and so just pain medsthey wwould not give me any until I was at least to 5, so I was in the shower for a long time, finally pain medication, but it did not help much, At around 4:30am I wanted way more meds, she checed me and I was onlt to 7 so she went and got the meds as she put them in the IV, I said I said I need to push NOW!!! She checked and sure enough Collin was born a few minutes later at 4:54am, Collin had to be given a medication to counter act the meds she had just given me, there he is my beautiful love of my life. Collin!!!! He was also full term. Still no streth marks. Wynter was there and she said she was never going to have kids. Well she got married in 2005 and made me a Nana in 2006.

Well there is the short of a long time travel Tuesday, hope you enjoyed it Annie.

May GOD'S Grace be with you always.
Dawn

KC said...

OH my goodness cuts and rips OUCH and a doctor who had only delivered one other baby, OH MY..
what a wonderful story of love though. and I never would have guessed Amanda looked like her daddy because I think she looks so much like you now.

Oppes if you thin your post was long your going to die when you start reading mine ;P

Shawna said...

It's amazing how all birth stories are so different. This is my first time to participate!! This is such a wonderful idea.

Barb said...

That first experience doesn't sound like a lot of fun, Annie, and I seriously can't believe you were given sleeping pills. I had a similar experience with my second when an intern was on call and my doctor was not available. It only took 1 hour and 27 minutes from start to finish but I ended up staying 5 days and having a DNC because the intern didn't know what he was doing. Still, the end result was sure worth it!

Marcia Francois said...

Hi Annie

I'm literally popping onto the internet for a few minutes to say HI and thanks for your birthday messages. I'll write to you again tomorrow after my BIG TALK to 150 women (pray for me). Of course I love doing them but still...150 is alot!

Lots of love
XXX

Michelle said...

thank goodness you had the little green dress packed just in case :) Sorry to hear you had an on-call doc who had only delivered once before; sounds like it made your experience that much more painful - ouch! Sorry for all the times they sent you home too - how frustrating!

I actually posted Kayla's birth story a few months back, so I'll put a direct link to that in the Mr Linky.

Haley said...

Awww! What a crazy but sweet birth story. How crazy about sleeping pills and labor, weird!

I'm glad everything turned out alright!

Haley

Anonymous said...

What wonderful stories and I am in this week, just a little late.

Robin Green said...

I had tough pregnancies--all three of them. Actually, the doctor privately told my husband that I didn't need to be pregnant again--ever--my uterus was so huge with the twins that it had ripped open. Anyway, I am shocked about the sleeping pill thing--what in the world was the reasoning for that? What a blessing our children are. Thanks for sharing.

Angela Baylis said...

Hi... I've had a bit of a rough day, so I think it will be fun to do this one tonight to think back 22+ years so I guess I do this on my spot???

p.s. I love your songs!!!!!!!

Angela Baylis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angela Baylis said...

p.s. I guess I will have to do this another day! I need to get to bed early tonight!

I love this song, too. "For You"!

Oh... I used your God's Girl...Annie! picture on my blog post the other day! Thank you so much for letting me borrow it! You are so sweet! Justabeackat even recognized it! :)

Sonya said...

What a wonderful story! I think I would have killed someone if they had kept sending me home! I'm glad things turned out well and that you had a healthy baby girl!

ZAM said...

Am in too..guess, i'm tad late posting..

Birth stories are great story-telling material. And giving birth is one of God's miracle, a life-changing experience. And it always makes me sappy and teary-eyed remembering mine..And when i look at my boy now, can't help feeling melodramatic all over again.

Anonymous said...

Hi Annie. I was on your blogs a few days ago and read your entire journey with little Izzy. I have thought of you and your family quite often since. I'm not a lurker, so I thought I would take the time to write tonight and let you know I was around :0).
Many blessings!
Tina

Linda Murphy said...

Hi Annie, I enjoyed reading your post and your blog in general. I found you through Jodi and I will be posting my stories on my own blog. I look forward to stopping by often. Thanks!

Linda

Crystal said...

I'm not too fond of being pregnant. I think I'm allergic. But it's worth every moment for the end result. And I plan on doing it several more time. :)

Thanks for letting me join your Tuesday Time Travel.

Kim said...

I am back and posting Annie. I loved your story--it is so amazing to me how something as universal as giving birth happens in so many different little ways. I was sent home once with my 4th baby and I was not a happy camper. I went into real labor that night but was afraid to go in because I just knew they would send me home again and I couldn't face the disappointment! LOL!
Glad your inexperienced doctor pulled it together and glad you and Amanda were ok too!
*smiles*

Joyful Days said...

That was a "wow" of a story, Annie. Sorry, I didn't play this week. Things have been kind of off here.

Thanks for sharing your sweet stories & family.

Blessings,

Julie

Anonymous said...

Ah Annie how sweet. Thanks for doing this.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Hi Annie, just wanted to let you know that I gave you an award. Stop by :)

Tori :) said...

My epidural with Livie kicked in right after I gave birth and I couldn't feel my legs for hours after either!! That was lame, huh??

Beautiful story. :) I love birth stories.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow...each birth experience was different for me. After my first, I never took Demoral (sp?) again...it worked on me like the seconal worked on you...I'd fall asleep only to wake up in excruciating pain and totally unfocused...it was long and awful...but the results are sure sweet! :)
Sorry I couldn't participate this week...things have been hectic but fun around here.

Anonymous said...

Annie! I just read the update ... the baby's head collapses while being born?! Was he just seeing things or does it really? I have no clue since I've never seen a birth ... LOL! Done it quite a bit but never seen it, LOL!