Monday, August 27, 2007

time travel tuesday ~ honey we're having a baby edition

How did you find out you were pregnant, how did you share the news with your hubbie... how did you tell your family?

Come travel back to the day you found out you were pregnant and share it with the group!










I'm not sure why I chose this topic, I didn't have anything in mind...
I have friends who were so incredibly creative in how they shared the big news with their hubby or family.
Take Mendy, she found out she was preggers right before Christmas. She bought little baby items like bottles and bibs all decorated for the holidays and wrapped them for each family member. She asked them to all unwrap at the same time. I think it took them a minute, but they were very excited. Especially considering she had waited a while to get married and have children.
When we found out we were pg with Amanda it was time for Matt's sister Jane Ann's wedding.
Before the wedding we were served champagne and I remember thinking I had to pretend to sip the champagne because I didn't want to take away from her special day by announcing our news. (and yes I know a single glass of wine or champagne was fine, I had discussed it with the dr. I was just being very careful).
We waited until they returned from their honeymoon to tell Matt's family.
With each child I had a shirt made for Matt to wear that said "COACH" on the front and "PETTIGREW" on the back with "01, 02, 03, and 04" He still has those t-shirts, although his 01 shirt, being 17 years old is pretty thin. I always thought with each of the next babies after Amanda this would be a wonderful way to tell Matt about our new baby. . . I just couldn't wait long enough to go get the shirt, being the big mouth that I am :o).
I remember Amanda let the news slip to Matt's family when we found out we were having Bailey. Maybe a little earlier than we would have. By the fourth child I think we were starting to scare some family members. My mother's mother had 14 children. When asked about why she would have so many her reply would always be, "who would I send back?"
Matt and I pretty much had always said we would have four children.
After Isabelle was born, Matt suggested five wouldn't be a bad number either.
I called my OBGYN that day to schedule a tubal.
Four was the perfect number.
For us.


29 comments:

A Captured Reflection said...

Oh I do enjoy these! Hope that you are sleeping well, I think it is night time for you there now :-)

Anonymous said...

I did mine, Annie!

Anonymous said...

ok, it's up for real this time! And I'm going to bed for real this time!

It's OK to be WEIRD! said...

Karen introduced me to this post. What a fun topic! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pic of the tummy with the baby's foot - WOW!

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

I thought that was a great story Annie!

Susan said...

How cute your idea of the T-Shirt was for Matt. You are such a clever girl!!!
((hugs))
Susan

Corrie said...

You're so cute for pretending to sip the champagne! Creative with the t-shirts!!!
Have a great day, Annie!

Monkey Giggles said...

Is that your belly!!! Wow...such a powerful picture. I love it!!

Nancy Face said...

I just ♥ the Coach T-shirts! That's the cutest idea ever! :o)

14 children...your grandma was quite the amazing woman! I love the reply she gave to people! ;)

Anonymous said...

Love the t-shirt idea! That's too cute. I had to LOL at you calling the OBGYN right then. Too funny!

Jenny said...

I like the picture of the pregnant lady, too! Great job with that!
I enjoyed reading your story. Love the t-shirt idea, too! Does Matt still wear them? It would be neat for him to wear them while he's supporting that particular child at whatever they're doing.
Mine is up now.

Anonymous said...

I love the shirt idea!!
Have a great Tuesday!


Jodi

Shawna said...

The shirts was such a neat idea!! But like you, I would have had a hard time waitng to tell!!

Robin Green said...

I'm just not a very creative person, but I did SO love telling B about the twins. I went to his work and showed him the sonogram picture--and then I showed him the other sonogram picture and said, "And here's baby no. 2"). To say he was a little confused is an understatement! Thanks for sharing your story--I love the t shirt idea too.

Michelle said...

what a great story Annie! I love the tshirt idea - such a fun way to tell the family!

I got a kick out of the end - after Matt's comment about 5 you called the OBGYN right away to schedule the tubal! LOL

Kim said...

We never could wait to tell people either!!! :)
I love havig four kids too--it seems right---at least now it does!!! I often think the same thing as your grandma, who would I get rid of? I used to love the comments and stares we would get when we used to go out with all the kids. I guess families with four kids are kind of rare around here.
Have a great Tuesday--this topic today has made me want to go love on all my kids!
OH, and by the way, I still love your hair. :)
*smiles*
Kim

Anonymous said...

I love the shirt idea! How cute!

Anonymous said...

Great story! I love the t-shirt idea!!!

Debi said...

Oh, I love her answer..."who would I send back?"!

KC said...

I'm like you too much of a big mouth to do anything like a gift or shirt to tell people. I was going to try to do something like big sister big brother shirts to tell our family about Sweet Pea but Princess like her mommy is a big mouth and let the news slip way before I was going to tell them. Now with Little Man DH and I did manage to keep it from the kids and our family for 13 weeks, we wanted to get past the point of where we lost Alyssa, We just didn't want to have to put the kids though the pain of loseing another baby if we didn't have too. But I did nothing creative to tell people either.

Susan said...

Oh for sure you are tied to my heart, Annie!!!
Susan

A Captured Reflection said...

http://realwomenscrap.typepad.com/scrapbook_lessons/2007/08/welcome-to-the-.html

Have you come across the above yet Annie? I thought it might interest you.

palmtreefanatic said...

This is a sweet post!
love the photo;)

Anonymous said...

Awww...love the t-shirt idea!! We stopped at four too...now I wish we hadn't...I sure miss little ones around here and grandbabies are a ways off!
Mine's up now.

Nan said...

Oh man, I so want to play this one! But I have to make another soap post! LOL Dang!

Hyperactive Lu said...

Great idea about the shirt! Loved your story!

gail@more than a song said...

"Who would I send back" I LOVE that statement!
And that picture is too cute with the foot, where did you find that!
Love the tshirt idea too.

Tori :) said...

I love the Coach tees idea!!

Jill said...

I love all your time travels...the shirt idea is great! What a neat way to announce your news!