Wednesday, July 18, 2007

meditate on these things~

It's Wednesday. Izzy has school this afternoon which is just therapy for Summer... Gives me two hours of sheer freedom! :o)...
I made a new schedule yesterday. This was prompted by a phone call from my IRL friend Julie. Julie is queen of charts, schedules, and planning. She is an all or nothing kind of girl and with 7 children now, it's usually all. We were talking about just keeping things done so we exchanged schedules for our weekly things. She's a bit more 'gung ho' than I am, but at least I have a plan, or a method to my madness. I just looked at my 'schedule' and today is dusting and vacuuming. Yesterday was kitchen day which includes cleaning out fridge and extra cooking... (I made matt's taquitos, beans and then chili later for another day and prepared the meatloaf for today ... my menu is all scatterwonked). Monday was bedding day... check!
I'm also spending more time in Bible study, and reading different devotionals etc. I'm trying to fill my mind and heart with good things. I was convicted this weekend to stop tivo-ing a show that I have watched since junior high. This show was m-f everyday, it was a silly show, but one that I just always watched... if only for a few minutes while ff the annoying stuff. Well, those days are over. I realized how much was unholy in that show, everyone was married to each other's spouses and having other people's babies and other things that are just not part of my life. I was talking to Matt yesterday. He was talking about feeling so pumped up after leaving Dallas and how an email from a friend had messed with him a bit. Not really reduced his faith, just messed with him. I said, "It's like we come home as a big tall glass of pure clear water and all the bits of the world are like tiny droplets of blue dye, changing the water from it's clear pure state, little by little." Well, he appreciated my analogy and ask that I write it down for posterity... so I have. I refuse to allow my water to darken. I want to walk pure and holy before the Lord. I cannot expect Him to move and work in my life if I do not seek Him with my whole heart. Kat wrote a post yesterday about the worldliness of certain things and I applaud her post. It is so true and we (as a society) are so numb to sin that we don't think it matters or hurts anything to repeatedly see it. Even those shows that bleep out the bad words, tell me your mind doesn't know and speak what those bleeps don't. You hear over the bleeps just like you can read a word with only the first and last letters and the middle scrambled and your mind knows the word. Our hearts take in all of that negative sinful material and I just don't have any interest in polluting my mind or my heart.

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:8-9

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds a little judgemental to me.

inspired said...

Yes the Mind is the Battle field . The Lord bless you and keep you..:o]

Susan said...

Great post, Annie. The "eye gate" and "ear gate" are something we have to constantly protect and guard. I always make the analogy that I don't eat "just a little bit of poison" so I'm not going to take worldly poison into my mind, soul and spirit by way of my eyes or ears.

Iron sharpeneth iron and we all need to constantly be sharpening each other.
((hugs))
Susan

Sonya said...

I agree with all that Susan said and I applaud you for being more deliberate about what you watch. It's funny how we think those things don't effect us but in reality, they do over time. I've been doing the same thing, little by little. Filtering out the ugliness to make more room for the beauty God has waiting for us. It's a growing process and I think a sign of maturity. You go girl!

Anonymous said...

Good post, Annie. Got me thinking...

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about these same things. Great post Annie! And Amen to Susan's comment too!

Anonymous said...

Great post!! Amen and amen to your post, to Kat's post, and to Tracey's post that Kat linked too!
God is doing a wonderful work in the lives of His people!
PS...love the pic of your daughter and son...so sweet!!

Anonymous said...

Annie,

Great reflection! You are so right about the things we take in. My grandmother used to say 'garbage in, garbage out'. I even find the things I listen to on the radio have an affect on me. If I listen to things that are not uplifting, it changes my focus. I can become more negative, or judgmental, or just plain crabby!

We must guard our hearts and minds.

Love to you and pray that all is well with your family! Hope Izzy had a good day at school.

Blessings,

DJ

Jenny said...

I don't think it's judgemental at all. It's a personal thing between you and God. If the Lord asks us to sacrifice things to Him, we can be sure He notices and rewards us with good things! His things. Maybe those things that will not perish with this world, but will go with us into eternity. Or, maybe rewards for us to enjoy while we're here.
If we are serving God, His charge to us is to be holy, just as He is holy. How can we allow worldly things into our lives and hearts, and still strive to be holy? The answer is "we can't."
Annie, this response is not so much to you as an answer to the anon comment. Not judging the person, just replying to the comment.

Jessica said...

Congrats on your 2 hrs of freedom lol.

I have been trying to be more careful of what I watch too, I notice more as I watch things now. But I'm still stuck on a few shows.
Bible Study sounds great, we just started a group one with our family once a week.

Unknown said...

I agree with you on this, Annie. And I don't think it's judgmental in the way we're advised not to judge others. Righteous judgment is made under the influence of the Spirit by those who are seeking to become worthy recipients of the Spirit. I can't imagine the Spirit dwelling in us for long if we're watching or saying things that offend Him.

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Very good post. I once read somewhere that when you are watching a TV show or a movie you should thing "How would I feel if Jesus walked in the room right now"? Would he approve or would you be embarrassed by what you're watching? I don't always remember that, but maybe I should.

Karen said...

This was a good post, Annie. I'm trying to fill my mind with the good stuff, but often fall short. I feel I can filter a lot of the stuff, but even a filter has to be cleaned out, so the residue is still there. Good food for thought.

Anonymous said...

Definitely something to think about.


Have a great Wednesday (and Thursday, too).

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/

http://www.mikeleonen.com/

Anonymous said...

I don't watch hardly any TV (other than American Idol and Dancing Shows) simply because it's all *trash*, in my opinion. There is nothing on TV that entertains me or feeds my spirit. We don't have cable and my girls watch PBS or movies we have. There are many different reasons behind why, though. Good for you, for being able to recognize that what you were watching just wasn't for you any longer. :o)

As for teh schedules ... whew, I need to make my new one for the upcoming school year. It's gonna be so much different teaching the girls with a baby in the house.

Have a good night, Annie. (((Hugs)))

Mandalyn said...

I totally agree with you! If we don't listen to what God says to our hearts, then we will never benefit from what He can teach us!!

My thoughts are much holier when I don't fill my mind with the junk on TV! That's why I watch very little TV! I completely understand your decision!

Theresa's Notes said...

Hello Annie, I'm Theresa and I came over here from Leigh Ann's blog.

I just read the story about your daughter, Izzy and was in tears. Still am,, I am one who prays and will be praying for your sweet little girl.

Please feel free to come to my blog any time. Theresa From Texas.

www.theresamcentire.blogspot.com

Karen Hossink said...

Yes. I agree, too. I've heard of asking a question like, "How will watching this program make me a better person?" Or, "How will this show help me become more like Jesus?"
Good thoughts.

Justabeachkat said...

Sweet Annie

I love your heart. I think your analogy is just perfect. I'm a visual person and it helps me if I can visualize situations. Yours of a big tall glass of pure clear water being tainted by the world makes it very clear in my mind. Thank you.

I too want to walk pure and holy before the Lord.

Hugs!
Kat

A Captured Reflection said...

I love that verse that you quoted. Keep on looking up, hoping and holding on in joyous faith. For nothing is impossible with God, who came to give us life and life in abundance.

Kim said...

What a great post Annie. Very challenging and something that I think we as Christians battle and evaluate all our lives! You have such a sweet spirit and nice way of putting things. God bless you today....
Kim

KC said...

Great post Annie

Nancy Face said...

Wonderful post, Annie! Amen to Anne Bradshaw's comment! :)

Jodi said...

Judgemental?? NOT! Great post Annie! It made me stop and think of the things I watch/listen as well. I have some shows I need to stop taping as well.

I too like your water analogy as well!

Be blessed!
♥ Jodi

Corrie said...

I love this post. You are so right about polluting our clear water with waste from the world. I am trying to weed out some of the wordly influence that I allow to penetrate our home and my mind. Please pray for me.
Hope you enjoyed your "sheer freedom" bunches! Loved the picture from yesterday! Your family is beautiful.
Have a super day, Annie!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

You are so right. :)

Michele said...

Always enjoy reading your blog, Annie. Not judgemental at all. It's up to you and the Lord!

Tammy and Parker said...

It is impossible to keep the Spirit near when you are watching/reading/listening to things that are nothing more than garbage.

How can you listen for that still small voice if all you can hear is the junk that you have allowed to fill the space around you?

I'm intrigued by your schedule. I am so in need of trying to find a groove with my other 5 kids, Parker's needs and my home responsibilities.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for interesting article.

Anonymous said...

Excellent website. Good work. Very useful. I will bookmark!