Friday, February 16, 2007

Favorite Ingredient Friday


My friend Melody had these pretzels at a work party and thought they were a great snack. I made a batch around the holidays and they were really good!


Spicy Pretzels

1 lb. Bag of pretzels
¾ cup vegetable oil
1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. lemon pepper
1 or 1 ½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper

Pour pretzels into a 1 gallon Ziploc bag. Mix all other ingredients together and pour over bagged pretzels. Seal the bag and turn over every 15 minutes for 1 hour. Empty bag into a bowl and let set for a few hours.


Southwestern Pasta Salad
This serves 8 but I doubled the recipe.
1 16oz. box of Penne or Wagon wheel Pasta
1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained
1 8 oz. can of whole kernel corn, drained
1 red bell pepper, chopped
6 green onions, chopped
Fresh cilantro
Parmesan, Romano, or mozzarella cheese (or all three)
Southwestern dressing

Southwestern dressing
1 tsp ground cumin (toasted for 3 to 5 min. in small frying pan)
8 oz. sour cream
16 oz. jar of chunky salsa (as spicy or unspicy as you like it)
2 cloves garlic
Cook pasta by pkg directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Add 1 ½ cups of the southwestern dressing. Refrigerate for at least 1 ½ hours. Spoon pasta onto serving dish. Add black beans, corn, red bell pepper, green onions, and cilantro. Spread over the top of the pasta. Spread the remainder of the southwestern dressing over the top and sprinkle with cheese.
Visit Overwhelmed site for many more...

13 comments:

Pamela said...

Both recipes look delicious and would compliment each other nicely! I can't wait to try the Southwester Pasta Salad! All the ingredients look so good.

How long ago did Isabella almost drown...something like that can be so scary. I will try to come back and read more. Enjoy your day! :)

Laura said...

I confess I had to look in the internet what Pretzels where. I guess this recipe exchange also helps us to discover new ingredients. Being Portuguese, some ingredients are really unknown for me.
As for the Pasta Salad, well...I love pasta, so this is for sure delicious.

Jessica said...

Both sound yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Jill said...

Wow! That pasta salad looks fantastic. What a great alternative to the run-of-the-mill pasta salad!

Overwhelmed! said...

Hooray! Three recipes for the price of one. :) They look great!

Thanks so much, Annie, for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it!

Ms. Kathleen said...

These sound so wonderful. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Yum! These look good! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Yum! I bet my girls would really like teh pretzels. I'll have to try it sometime! :o) Have a good weekend, Annie!

Michelle said...

those do sound like great preztels! I think I'm going to make them for my next bunco group - thanks!

Rae said...

Yum, both of those recipes sound fantastic! Can't wait to try that pasta. Thanks for sharing! =)

Unknown said...

These sound great. Thanks!

Laura said...

Replying your comment, we buy Pretzel as a salt snack in packages. We simple call it "salty snacks". But my internet research ended up with several types of Pretzels I didn't know about. I am always learning...

FamilySnows said...

I love pretzels, can't wait to try these!

Thanks for checking out my recipe - I posted early because we were out of town until now!!